Parts cleaning

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Parts cleaning
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 11:33 am:

What fluid do you use to clean parts?

My T was easy but the A has 80 years of oil, grease and road grime on most of the underside. In some cases it is 1/4 inch thick and 1/8 is common.
Scraping the undercarriage is easy but cleaning nuts, bolts, small parts, etc. is a pain.
I don't want to purchase a real parts washer so I have a 5 gallon pail with a wire basket and need to find a good solvent.

What do you guys use?

Almost forgot - I am not an environmental nut but but it should be somewhat easy to dispose of and cheap!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 12:20 pm:

When I worked in the garage 60 yrs ago, we used gas. But now that is a no no. When I have a small part to clean, I still use small amount.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Smith on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 12:30 pm:

Lots of brake cleaner. Soak like you describe. Lacquer thinner. Sand blast if you have access to a cabinet though that is a luxury. No smoking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 12:45 pm:

I bought a Harbor Freight blasting cabinet and a Harbor Freight parts washer years ago. The cabinet is filled with aluminum oxide media, and the parts washer is filled with 6 gallons of mineral spirits.

If I need to get something totally spotless after the parts washer, I give it a spray with brake cleaner. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 01:01 pm:

SWEAT!!! :-)

Kerosene, brake cleaner, dynamite, lacquer thinner, wire brush, putty knife and a neighbor kid if I can get him to do it for a couple bucks. Then blast with a friend's bead blaster. A little gunk and the car wash takes care of some of the light stuff. Did I mention dynamite?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon - Richmond, VA on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 01:04 pm:

If you have Northern Hydraulic Store they sell 5 gallon buckets of parts cleaner. Works great for grease & oil crud. I use it in my parts washer,but you could just put your basket in. It's kind of like mineral spirits, but better solvent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 01:13 pm:

Kerosene
Scrapers
Fire
Parts washer
MEM
Wire wheel
Commercial sandblasting service
Depending on what works best for the part being cleaned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 02:53 pm:

I have found some degreaser called black maxx that I really like, biodegradable, works better than any thing I've found in a long time. No affiliation with this product other than a user. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Leach on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 03:12 pm:

Fred What are you trying to clean. The car or the parts? If you are cleaning small parts off the car they sell a small bench top parts washer @ HF. As far as solvent goes check with your local petroleum distributor to see if they sell stoddard solvent. It is less flammable, smells better & is not a neurotoxin like some brake cleaners & paint thinners are. If you are trying to clean the hole car look into a small pressure washer & hook it up to your hot water heater. The car wash guy will have a fit if he catches you degreasing the hole car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 03:13 pm:

I recently discovered a water based - biodegradable cleaner called Oil Eater. I soak parts over night then hose off. I just used it to clean the rear axle housings... inside! I plugged up the end and the holes then poured it in full strength. The housing came out like new!!! Next day I transferred the solution to the other housing with the same results. It cleans up best with hot water. It also works well on greasy clothes and is safe to user in the washing machine.

My son is a mechanic and all the guys there use it to wash their uniforms. Best I've found so far.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 08:50 pm:

Stoddard Solvent IS a neurotoxin, and it's probably what is being sold to Bob. Granted, it's safer than some stuff; and much safer than modern gasoline. HOWEVER wear gloves & protective clothing. I didn't for decades and now I have Long-Term Solvent Exposure disorder. For me it shows up mostly as memory gaps-so far. There are lots of modern cleaners that are supposed to be safer to use; like the one John mentioned (which sounds pretty good). Most of the time though, cleaning takes manual effort and it's usually the messiest part of any restoration.
And NO, I am not a ranting anti-chemical person, just one whose been around too much stuff too long--and Yes, I still break the rules now and then!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 10:55 pm:

I've tried a lot of things but am amazed how well kerosene works. Some products can be hard on the finish after the grease is gone. No drawbacks with kerosene that I can see. Gonna buy some more real soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 10:00 am:

Lacquer thinner. I buy it by the gallon(s).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 10:16 am:

As usual, I agree with Royce.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 11:04 am:

Diesel fuel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 01:09 am:

Heavy Duty "Easy Off" Oven Cleaner, which is designed to cut through thick, baked on grease in ovens and in bar-b-que grills, is great for cutting through crusty 80 year old grease and grime. Just spray it on, let it sit for a few minutes and wipe or scape off the mess. Be sure to wear rubber gloves and eye protection. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 01:21 am:

Stood arid solvent. 99 bucks for 5 gallons.
Oven cleaner works good on the hard-to-get-at stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 02:05 pm:

Royce - I always consider your advice as a source of reliable and very useable information from "one who knows", however, acronyms are usually "lost" on me and I haven't the slightest idea what you mean by "MEM", and Google is no help at all! What on earth do you mean by "MEM"??? Thanks,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Smith on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 05:24 pm:

I took that as MEK but will let him clarify. You could throw acetone in while adding some more nasty stuff.I suppose touline may do some good but makes a better octane booster. All options if laying around but all nasty to our health.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration