Wide Thrust Washer Source

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Wide Thrust Washer Source
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 03:23 pm:

I haven't spent a lot of time looking for this yet but a friend has the rear end apart from my '27 Tudor.
He replaced one half of the differential as somewhere along the line the thrust part of the housing was broken......however THAT could happen.
Anyway he assembled it with new thrust washers (it already had steel thrust washers) and is experiencing excessive axle end play on the passenger side.......like 3/8" inch!
It seems the only answer is a wide spacer for that side which I haven't yet found.
The attached photo is described as being for a 1912 axle.....WTH
Anyone else run into this?
If we have to make a custom washer so be it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 04:06 pm:

I found this thread by Dan which holds the answer I think.
Now the question is where does one get a thick washer and is a combination of bronze and steel washers used to achieve the necessary thickness?

http://www.mtfca.com/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?tpc=411944&post=585188#POST585188

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 04:58 pm:

...is experiencing excessive axle end play....

Assume axle play isn't because the fiber washer was left out or needed more washer thickness between the axle shaft ends?

Assembly prior to fitting fiber washers between axle shafts, and buttoning up the carrier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 05:06 pm:

The only way that could be happening is if the thrust washer(s) are missing from one side or both. There are 4 steel and 2 bronze washers, 2 steel and one bronze on each side. Did he put the fiber disk between the ends of the axles? If you don't have the rear end rebuild or Ford service book I suggest getting one or the other or both. If you have the new bronze thrust washers, they need to be fitted, not just plug and play.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 05:08 pm:

I think you would have end play on both axle shafts if the thrust washers were too thin. Or it would be all on the drivers side (American car). The reason is the ring gear would move toward the pinion gear limiting the play on the passenger side, but would be able to move on the drivers side. That leaves me to think your problem is the fiber gear between the ends of the axles.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 05:11 pm:

3/8" is a lot more then a missing fiber disk would account for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 05:17 pm:

Are the locator pins and all of the steel washers in place? Note that each of the bronze washers is "sandwiched" by a steel washer on each side, plus any shims as needed to set carrier clearance with the axle housings.

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 06:22 pm:

The driver's side is fine and thanks for the responses....... :-) .......especially Mark Strange's post above which clearly explains everything.
We'll shim as necessary.......just wanted to be sure we're not missing something else.......not that there's a heckuvalot of "else" in there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 06:32 pm:

That fiber washer for a '12 or older carrier went between the axle differential gear and the carrier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 10:42 am:

Sounds to me like you are leaving out a part(s).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 10:45 am:

"He replaced one half of the differential"

If he replaced the RH 1/2 of the differential case (2513CU in the drawing above) I'd give that a good hard look at.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 10:51 am:

Ken

That's well to do, good point. There are differences in years of the carrier sections, the parts should match the year of use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 05:58 pm:

Now that I have more time than I did last night I will give a more detailed answer than I did at 6:30 yesterday. Years ago I built up a rear end from used (naturally) parts. Early carriers used a big fibre washer between the outside of the diff gear on the axle and the inside of the carrier. They also used a bronze bushing where the diff gear goes through the carrier. Take out this bushing and a 'standard'gear fits. Somebody look in an early parts book. I had a helluva time figuring it out, and then was no forum with knowledgeable old farts to ask then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 06:20 pm:

The part number for the early fibre washer is 2523.i will attempt to upload pics list of parts 1911 that shows pic. I'd you have one side of an early diff carrier and are missings this you will have unsolvable endplay

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 06:29 pm:

WE are talking about a 1927 rear end not early. He just used the early setup for illustration. Read the first line.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 06:33 pm:

The upshot is change the side of the carrier that was changed again. Give the numberof Ts built, the survival rate of cars and parts it is indeed a longshot to get early parts that don't interchange in the mix .God, how l despise sPELLCheck!l .ust Have got loud because it brought a nurse a runnin
O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 06:40 pm:

You read it. They replaced one halF of the carrier because one was cdacked .Early carriers used an internal fiber washer between the gear on the axle and this side of the housing and the diff gear on 2523 in an early parts manual.l started screwing with T's in 1978 and have built well over a dozen from parts, and I have had it all happen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 08:02 pm:

Jim;
I see you are a new poster and joined us Sat. Aug 6. Welcome to the forum. How about starting a new conversation and tell us about yourself.
MarkG

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration