Valves

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Valves
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 09:40 pm:

A while back there was discussion re using tractor valves(?) when the seats became too wide and deep for T valves. Royce mentioned valves he used were inexpensive to purchase and had larger heads than T valves. I've tried the search function and couldn't find the thread where this was discussed.
Any clue where I could get the information?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 09:43 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/235475.html?1316149344

Just use google instead. Type into the Google search whatever you're looking for and add "mtfca" without quotes to the end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 12:57 am:

The last T I rebuilt was three years ago.
I think I used Ford 6 cylinder valves.
I believe they were for a 232.
Many folks have also used Chev V8 valves too. The exhaust valves will fit in both intake and exhaust of the T, but I believe U gotta ream out the T valve guide holes a little.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 02:49 am:

I wouldn't waste my time trying to make other ones fit, Langs sell over sized head valves, keepers (collets) spring retainers etc, no problems to clear the head gasket as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 06:31 am:

Ford 351 exhaust valves work great especially if using a stock style lifter. They have a slightly bigger head so you can grind a new seat, and a .030" oversize stem. Yes you do need to ream the valve guide .030" more, but when was the last time there was a block that didn't have worn guides in it. Then you can use the 351 Ford keepers and Ford 8N retainers all with the stock springs. Adjust the valve lash by having the valve stem tips ground slightly and all is good as new.

Of course having your own seat cutters, reamers and valve grinding machine go along way in the do it yourself part. But any competent machine shop can also do it for you.

ENGINETECH V1761 [Exhaust Valve] Info:
2BBL; Windsor engine; .3413" stem. 1.539" head
FORD MUSTANG 1969-1973

SEALED POWER VK115 {#VK115A, VK115R} [Valve Spring Retainer Keeper] Info:
1 groove; Square cut key groove
FORD MUSTANG 1969-1973

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 09:22 am:

Best valves I have found are Fordson Tractor. They are 1.66" head diameter and available with either 5/16" (Part number S-242-C) or 11/32" (Part number S-242-G) stems.

This means you can cut the seat without needing to install inserts, and you can ream the valve guides oversize and not need to install valve guides. The block is fundamentally stronger because you have removed less material, and you don't have to buy or install either valve seats or valve guides.

Here's where to buy them:
https://www.thefordsonhouse.com/storefront.asp?subcat=188

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 10:21 am:

Thanks for all the info, fellows. The block in question has hard seats installed with an OD of 1.580" so I think I would need a valve head less than that. Since the block is open valve, I want to retain the original cup and pin retainers. I can a mill the holes for the pins if the stems do not have grooves for modern retainers. Is there any way I can have what I want ie head to fit my seats and smooth stems to drill the holes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 09:41 pm:

Richard,
You want the OD of the valve to be larger than the OD of the seat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 10:23 am:

Roar the dimension I referred to is the OD of the seat insert

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration