Gave birth to a 1925 coupe today

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Gave birth to a 1925 coupe today
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 06:31 pm:

Bought the car Dec. 8 2015, 9 months tomorrow! Just heard the motor for the first time today, feel much better for all the work and $$$$, So to mount the radiator, when I bought the car teardown came first and I was sure the fan was on backwards, well I turned it the way I thought it should be but will not clear the radiator, Does not the curved in blade face the motor? And the tapered ends should be the leading edge? It did fit the other way but it doesn't look right to me. Maybe I'll have to post a picture of the fan but I believe it is original. By the way the motor is not original it is earlier, motor num.is 8124418 that if I remember is a '23, I do not see as there is any difference in fans or hubs for those years (1920-1925)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 06:40 pm:

Yes, please post a picture. In the meantime, here is a picture of my 1924. The convex side of the fan blades face forward. You may have the later, beefier looking fan. One of my blades was closer to the radiator than the others, so I bent it back by hand until it matched the others. :-)

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 06:48 pm:

That is the way I think the fan should be, and you do have a short hub, now that I look at your picture I see that the short hub will not require a different crank pulley ! thank you much, now to find the short hub ! This forum is great !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 08:10 pm:

I looked in Bruce McCauleys book for engine # 8124418,my engine is much earlier than I remembered, June 1915, I found no reference to when the hubs were changed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 08:55 pm:

Thomas, if your fan blade is like that shown in Mark's photo, there will be a slightly rounded section in the middle where the two pieces of the blades are welded across one another. That rounded section goes towards the radiator.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 09:22 pm:

Allan the fan pictured is similar, my fan is welded I think, no rivets, I just ordered a short hub I found on EBay, . thank you I'll post again when I get the hub if it's right or not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 11:17 pm:

Serial number looks like August 1923, not '15.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 05:56 am:

Short fan hubs should be the most common style. Ford only used long hubs in 1926/27 when he tried thinner and cheaper three row radiators that didn't work as good as the earlier thicker cores.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 11:36 am:

Wayne I hope you are right on the year, 1923 is what I had written down at first, guess I need to look at the book again. I'm new to model T's but I'm sure learning a lot about 1925 coupes! The right fan spacing is pretty important behind a $1000.00 rad,!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 09:06 pm:

My bad, looking in the book again, serial numbers starting with 8 is 800,000 not 8,124'418, now if I had looked to the back of the book at '26-'27's there is a very good large picture of the engine compartment. But then I knew my engine was older, except of course for the fan and hub!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 11:00 pm:

'23 and '25 engine blocks are essentially the same. Only the pickiest of purists should care. It is easy to read the commas and decimal points off with serial numbers. No big deal.
Your '25 coupe and my '24 coupe should look similar, but a lot of changes were made during those two years. If I recall correctly (from what Dave Sosnoski told me several years ago), my April '24 is the third variation of that series body construction, with several variations following it the next year and a half. One of the biggest changes was from wood-framed doors to all steel doors.
Most '25 coupes (actually most '25 Ts of ALL body styles except trucks) had the optional 21 inch balloon tires and wheels. 30 inch clincher type wheels and tires were also still an option in '25, and basically the only option on closed cars in '24.
I hope to see some good pictures of your coupe out and about. To that end, get out there and enjoy that car!
Drive carefully, W2

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration