Silver Rolls-Ford -Vera Cotton's 21st Birthday gift

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Silver Rolls-Ford -Vera Cotton's 21st Birthday gift
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Victor Bloxsome on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 02:43 am:

Wealthy Queensland cattleman A J Cotton took his children to school in England in 1909 while he searched for a suitable motor car for the Australian outback , often hundreds or even thousands of miles from nowhere . The Silver Ghost RR was too big and cumbersome , Napiers were already doing well in the Colonies as were Talbots , so he had a run of similar size autos built in Scotland with motor driven winches on the front chassis irons which he attempted to sell to fellow Ausie graziers ; this venture exhausted his interest in becoming a motor manufacturer and he returned to making millions off the land.
In 1914 his daughter Vera was asked what she would like for her 21 st Birthday and she replied " a little Rolls Royce would be fun ".
She was duly presented with this dazzling Brisbane built roadster with Mott wire wheels, all brightwork Nickel, and the body silver painted , overcoated clear - and a Kewpie Doll flying lady mascot with a parasol . Vera was my Godmother and Grand Aunt, and left me hundreds of Kodak 6X4 photos dating from 1907 - motoring in the outback .

I am re-creating her"Rolls-Ford" as she noted on the reverse of this photo .
Victor .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 06:22 am:

Fantastic story and photo, Victor. Thanks for posting it.
It is interesting how many outback graziers opted for Fords. They were certainly the 'go anywhere' cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 11:10 am:

Any idea where that car is today?

I love the demountable wire wheels!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim york, Boise Id. on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 11:44 am:

Great picture, my question is , what is the splash apron made of? canvas or maybe leather? Thanks for posting the picts. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Boe on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 05:36 pm:

That is a sexy car with great lines. I really like the curves of the NZ cars. I find it interesting that they didn't try to center the rear wheel in the rear fender. I have always thought that was a flaw in the Ford design aesthetically.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 08:39 pm:

Victor,

Great story! Great photo! Would love to see additional ones.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration