Square or Hex

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Square or Hex
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Dowell on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 06:27 am:

26, Front spring clip, is the bolt and/or nut supposed to be square or hex. Suppliers sell hex! (Out of availability?). Does anyone really know?Spring Clip

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Martin on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 06:59 am:

The bolt should have a square head, 3/8" across the flats with rounded corners. The nut is a thin hex nut, 1/2" across the flats & 3/16" thick.

The end of the bolt should be riveted over after assembly.

Earlier cars used rivets and hex head bolts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 10:02 am:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/607896.html?1453822183

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 10:53 am:

I've been lucky over the years to be able to find NOS or good used parts. These bolts are the same for the front and rear, only the rears are LONGER. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the nuts for these are used in a number of places on late T's, and possibly earlier ones too. The information that David posted above is 100% correct, and I'm happy someone out there is interested enough to find out about this. Also, I'm not sure when Ford adopted this type of bolt, but I would think probably in the twenties.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 11:32 am:

We sell the correct bolts and nuts for the front.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration