I need the hole story...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: I need the hole story...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Eaton on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 07:45 am:

Hi! Each axle tube on my 1914 has a hole drilled on the underside toward the outer end. Can anyone tell me if some were drilled at factory or more specifically why would anyone do this. It causes a considerable drip (puddle on ground ) after a drive.oil hole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 07:55 am:

Oil from the engine often leaks past the fourth main after it wears. This oil ends up in the differential. From that point, it works outwards and dilutes the wheel bearing grease where it drips on the brake shoes.

Someone added these weeps to protect the outer axle bearings and brakes. A backyard fix that doesn't address the original problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 09:49 am:

Hi John,

As Tom states above the holes are an owner installed feature. I have seen them a few times over the years. One rear axle even had corks in the holes, apparently to keep out road debris and water but allowing for the occasional "draining".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Goble on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 10:26 am:

I did this fix on a TT years ago . I saw it done in one of my old car publications .They drilled and taped the hole . Then they installed a 1/4 pipe nipple . stuffing it with steel wool to keep the dust out .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 10:49 am:

Kinda like "bleeding" the patient in days of old. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 10:52 am:

I'm FAR from expert on this, but it seems to me such a drain hole would function differently on a T vs. a TT.

A TT has 3 seals on each side, one just outboard the inner bearing, and one on each side of the outer bearing. Therefore, it seems to me a drain hole would only drain oil that got past the inner seal. The seals on each side of the outer bearing would not be a part of the equation.

On the other hand, a regular T does not have the inner seal. Therefore, wouldn't a drain hole allow an unrestricted path of escape for rear end lubricant?

Am I thinking right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 10:57 am:

If I were going to resort to this "fix", I think I'd put the hole in the bottom of the ball cap. Better to fix the leak.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Eaton on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 02:32 pm:

Thanks all! Henry You are correct Everyetime I drive the car rear end lube piles up in Dr side tube and then pours out onto the floor The plugs (cork or taps) are a necessity . I didn't think they would be factory as I have never seen them before

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 05:04 pm:

Is it possible your tubes are upside down ?? My tubes are also vented but on top with a flip cap to prevent junk from getting in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 05:33 pm:

No, bottom side is correct for draining excess oil before it enters the brake drums - there wasn't anything that really stopped leaking before Ford came with the leather seals inside the outer bearings in July 1925. Oil in the differential can leak out especially to the left side even without extra engine oil coming through the driveshaft tube.
Nowadays we have the flexible neoprene seals that actually works (Thanks Glen :-) )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 10:45 pm:

Weeping holes help drain that extra lune

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration