Recharging mag in car

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Recharging mag in car
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 12:24 pm:

Can I thread a screw into the bottom of the old mag sensor and use it as a recharge post?

I have 3 x 12v batteries charging for this project later this week

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 02:55 pm:

I am glad this is being brought up. I will be helping some folks localy to get their magneto charged and there is some fuzzy parts on how to do it in my feeble memory. I will just load up 1 of my 36 volt golf carts and use jumper cables from it for my 36 volts.
I remember something about a compass,Matter of fact I think I still have the little compass 1 of the members of the club gave me years back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 03:10 pm:

In the early 90's l was Ford-Linoln-Mercury dealer in Wabash, Indiana. I had 3 generations of mechanics from one family working for me. I gave the youngest one, 18 at the time enough parts to build a T chassis. I remember what a kick l got out of his calling the mag post a sensor. I would just use the msg post as is. It is possible to damage the solder on the mag ring. Also, have car facing either east or west.easier to get proper reading with compass. Also like macs suggestion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 03:23 pm:

Also, l just recently got back on here. I was a regular back about '07-11.l have been a T guy since l was a teenager back in the '70's.Also have had my share of A's including a 29 rumbleseat roadster l bought from Rick Lindner of Early Ford Registry fame. I put about 30k miles on that one.I'm recooperating from multiple surgeries now and this is a good passtime.How do l search my old posts? Found them once, now can't. I was also Jim in Indiana.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 03:39 pm:

Also got side tracked. I will try to post article on in car Mag charging. Give me something productive to do. I am sure there are many posts about this but one more can't hurt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 03:54 pm:

November 6,2011 there is a great thread about this. Mac, you still plagued by wild boars? Supposedly we are getting them here in Indiana too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 03:58 pm:

Jim: you can find your old postings as Jim in Indiana by searching google with this: "jim in indiana" site:www.mtfca.com

Chris: first you may want to check if the mag really needs charging - first you need a good magneto contact on the hogshead, there you'll have a thread to connect a cable where you can test with a 1157 bulb and an analog voltmeter as it's running on battery.
If it doesn't make the bulb really bright at higher rpms, you may need recharging.
Tom Carnegie has devised a method to recharge the magnets without any compass - see the second post in this thread: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/528397.html?1431523227

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration