I don't usually do this? But a good buy on eBad?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: I don't usually do this? But a good buy on eBad?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 06:59 pm:

I have NO connection to the seller. I have never seen this car. Needs some work, has probably original interior. Older cosmetic restoration and been neglected for awhile. From the photos, it may be an actual '15, or '16 back-dated. (I cannot make out the casting date, serial number, or door latches.)
At 10K buy-it-now, I think it will go fast!
In Maryland.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Model-T-/172298993026?forcerrptr=true&hash=item281d d1fd82:g:NVAAAOSwHoFXp88G&item=172298993026

I wish I had money.
As always, best to look at closely before buying. But this I would consider taking a chance with if I could.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 07:24 pm:

Block has a 1915 casting date but I can't tell the month and day. Serial number provided corresponds to February 1915.

Car has a typical 1950s restoration - basically repainted body, fenders and front and rear axles and the motor probably overhauled (new rings, valve grinding, tighten up bearings). Was probably a very nice example prior to the "restoration."

Upholstery is original and door panels are original.

Top material is a replacement.

Underside of car is original/unrestored. Body never has been off the frame.

Shackles and oilers are correct for 1915. Rear axle housings are correct.

Front wheels look like they might be 30 x 3.5 instead of the correct 30 x 3. Might be an illusion due to the big fat Goodyear tires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 07:33 pm:

3-30-15 casting date
Owner would have my 10K right now if it was at my end of the world!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 08:16 pm:

Are my eyes decieving me, or does it have ribbed pedals? Also does have brass hub fan. I agree, this appears to be a minimally messed with original. How often do you see engine pans on a car like this? Never?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 08:35 pm:

Only thing that would concern me is that it appears to have the carriage bolt in the side of the body. This car, according to the number, is possibly too early for this detail. If in fact it is a correct car, then this is by far the earliest 15 I've seen with the bolt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 10:21 pm:

The VIN in the listing is 694539. Assuming that it is the motor serial number, it corresponds February 16, 1915.

Frank van Ekeren says the casting date is 3-30-15. I zoomed in on it again but it is hard for me to tell. I can definitely see the 15.

If 3-30-15 is the casting date and the motor is original to the car and not a re-stamped replacement, then 694539 cannot be the serial number on the motor.

I agree with James Lyons - if it is a February car, then the bolt probably shouldn't be there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 10:29 pm:

It sounds look a fair deal on that year T. Cool are. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 10:38 pm:

It is very hard to see the casting date this way, but on Ebay zoom, it comes up very clear as 3-30-15
Also another late part it has that was introduced very late in the 15 model, is a non-taper front spring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 11:39 pm:

When I use the eBay photo zoom I don't get enough detail on the screen of my Macbook.

When I'm at my folks house, I'll look at it on their PC screen which has superior resolution.

Anyway, if the VIN listed is the actual engine serial number, it clashes with 3-30-15 casting date.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 07:34 am:

Looks like 3 30 15 to me too

this is the best I could here , but I think you can see it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 08:16 am:

Looks like a decent car for the money. It has a clipped leaf front spring. The tail lamp has a black top. No sign of a bulb horn. Front fenders have three rivets instead of four holding the bracket on.

I don't see any photos of the door latches, but the available pictures make it seem like a '16 model that has had an engine swap and brassification to make it eligible for HCCA.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration