Snake oil or not?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Snake oil or not?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 08:44 pm:

I found this a manifold and had to pick it up.
Is this just some snake oil or does it really help?

One more question.

If the T is built on Sept 1st 1926, Should this be titled as a '26 or '27?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 08:57 pm:

Ford considered Model T's built from August 2, 1926 '27 model year cars. But it could just as well have been registered as a '26 by the state, since it was in traffic in 1926.

The manifold helps preheat the intake. That helped gas mileage back when the cars were new since gas was heavily mixed with kerosene back then and benefitted from preheating. Today's fuel doesn't need it as much - especially not during summertime when we use our cars today, so it's a very cool accessory, but not as useful for gas saving now - the best feature today would be that it shouldn't warp as easily as original exhaust manifolds tends to do..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 09:44 pm:

Steve,

Pull back and take a photo showing the whole manifold please! It is a really nice piece. Never seen one like that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 09:54 pm:

Steve, It came from Texas. Of course its SNAKE OIL. They tell the biggest yarns out there. He He He. Ok just funning my great Texas friends. I always enjoy my trips out there and the warm folks. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 09:59 pm:

Royce, Here is the front and the back.
If I understand what Roger was saying, it that I could run this manifold with no issues.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 10:01 pm:

Thank you Steve. Looks similar to a Wilmo or Anco manifold. Should look good on your T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 10:07 pm:

I am a little worried about the exhaust threads.
Is there a way that they can be cleaned up?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 10:09 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 10:35 pm:

Steve, that is indeed an interesting manifold. If the threads are still pretty much there, one of my tricks would be to secure the manifold to a workbench at eye level sitting in a chair. Then l would clean and deepen the threads with a piece of hacksaw blade. Work slowly. Have a good sharp threaded nut handy to try it. I knew several old-timers that resurected Ts during WWll.They would run one of these manifolds. They had two fuel tanks, gas and kerosene.Warm up on gas, switch to kerosene. When so far from destination back to gas for start up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 10:35 pm:

Cool manifold. I bought the Anco version if that manifold but have tried it yet. My understanding is that the were supposed to improve mileage and performance. I would like to here from some of the guys who have ran these if the are any improvements from running these types of manifolds. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 11:17 pm:

I would love to find one to display with my collection.I have 13 different ones now,some with carbs mounted on them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 11:30 pm:

Is it my imagination or does the intake side appear to be high volume or high flow, like an early aluminum manifold or one of the new hop-up intakes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 11:35 pm:

Virtually every carburetor company came out with some kind of preheater in the early 20's to try to get cars to run on the bad fuel of the day. High octane (although it wasn't called octane) was 50. A lot of companies made heaters like this to warm the heavy fuel up so it would burn. Most of them worked very well.

Steve, you can buy a die to chase those threads or you can just file them with a thread file. You should check with someone else to see what the TPI is because I can't remember right off the top of my head but a 12 buck thread file will have the right TPI and you can clean threads up pretty quick. If the nut still won't hold, cut a little slice out of it, clamp it tight on the manifold and braze it back together. That will line the threads up and it will screw on and off like it was made that way.

Unca Jack, I have a whole shelf of those things but never saw one of this brand. The coolest one I have is a new old stock one that has a plate that clamps between the block and the manifold and has a web in the exhaust that heats the incoming mixture. I think you saw it when I got it at Chickasha.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 11:43 pm:

Stan, I have a Wilmo that has lots of time on it. The threads are also bad. I took my thread file to it and it just skipped over it. I will cut the nut almost in two. Place a band clamp around the flats and get it as tight as the nut will let me and then tighten the band clamp. Hope this helps someone, Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 11:44 pm:

Stan it was made in Texas,and stayed in Texas.The manifold threads are same TPI as hubs.If you have the right thread chaser,they are easy to chase.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 04:08 am:

NO WAY!!
Is the manifold thread the same count as a hub, with out going out to the shed I'd say the hub would be nearly double the TPI.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 07:20 am:

i fixed one buy cutting off the old threaded part then i made a new one out of steel then braised it on worked very well.this should be last resort. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim williams Baldwinsville NY. on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 09:24 am:

Steve that's a nice two in one manifold .
I found one two years ago and haven't tried it yet it's nice to find one made in your home state or town I was lucky to
Find this one made in Syracuse NY .
I wonder if any of these ever got out of NYS and survived?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fordtt/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 09:49 am:

Jim, Way cool. Right now I am just trying to get the T ready for a tour. I am my own worst enemy on working on the T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 10:15 am:

These combo manifolds seldom warp which is a definite plus.

Here is a past thread covering a bunch of these combo manifolds.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/117504.html

Here is a past thread on the manifold thread restoring die.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/278426.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 11:42 am:

Steve,

Nolan has a threading tool which will clean up the threads.

Ted

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 02:28 pm:

I checked a manifold and they are 1 27/32 -18 tpi( OR THERE ABOUT)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 02:32 pm:

I checked a manifold and they are 1 27/32 -18 tpi( OR THERE ABOUT)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 10:33 am:

I don't doubt for a second that an intake manifold like this and others would have been helpful back when fuel quality was poor or at the very least highly variable between sources. Same with the vaporizer carburetor.

However. I would be very skeptical that you could improve the performance of your T today, given the quality and consistency of fuel available now. In fact you would most likely reduce your horsepower by heating the incoming mixture and therefore reducing it's density, just like the power loss that results from operation of any normally aspirated engine at higher altitudes.

One of the most popular performance modifications for the Mustangs and Camaro's of today is a "cold air intake". Which is designed to deliver air that has not passed through and been heated by the radiator or any part of the engine compartment.

Would you notice a power loss with a Model T using the manifold pictured here? Probably not, but I'm highly doubtful you will notice any improvement either.

And since I was born and raised in Dallas I would love to say otherwise but I can't let that hometown bias influence me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 10:42 am:

If you look at the farm shop made exhaust manifold on one of the racers i think they started with this manifold for the exhaust?? Bud.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration