Terry Horlick, do you have any spare TT spokes?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Terry Horlick, do you have any spare TT spokes?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bartol on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 11:00 pm:

Terry:

I sent you a PM regarding shortened spokes for TT front wheels. Any chance you have some cut down ones for sale? I need to replace several on my wheel before I feel "safe". Not sure where I find PM responses, so I figured I'd post here in case you replied. Thanks, Chris.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 12:14 am:

Chris, I wondered why you didn't answer any of my questions I sent to you in my PM response... I bet it didn't go through. I have some old spokes in my shop. I haven't cut them shorter for my wheels yet. Of course I used all the best ones on my car and the remaining are the dregs.

I know nothing about TT wheels. They do look heavier than those for cars so I suspect that old spokes from 30X3 or 30x3½ cut down for 21" wheels might not fit. I suspect they will be thinner in cross section (smaller diameter).

What I wrote you was that I would need the length you need them cut to. Then I can look at the spokes I have and see if I can make some for you.

My experience hasn't been really stellar with the spokes. After several years they started loosening and some have cracked and chipped. So when I got my two new tires in the mail today I started working on the wheels. I have some split rim repairs I need to do, including making them round again. I also need to replace the threaded inserts which are part of the split lock mechanism. In looking at the wheels they now have shims all the way around. So I am thinking of pulling out the spokes and replacing all the shims with washers. Also with the accumulation of shims over the years the wheels have gone out of round... so I do literally bump down the road... it feels like a clown car!

So what I am thinking about is buying a set of new honest to goodness hickory 21" wheel spokes and doing all four wheels over again.

So my concerns for you are: are car spokes the same as TT spokes? ... I think not. If not perhaps you can contact Mr. Stolzman to get what you need. Another fellow who reads this forum who is a real wizard in turning spokes is Hal Shedler in Sacramento. If you are stuck for spokes I would pull one of yours out and send it to him. He may be willing to turn you some replacements.

If I were to make up some spokes for you it would be with no guarantee, you assume all responsibility and liability for the use of the parts.
TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 12:33 am:

Chris,

I see Macs (and other supplies) have spokes for sale. this would be better than an old spoke turned down.

Mac's catalog page for spokes.

If stock spokes won't fit your application no one will be able to help you without the measurments of what you are after.

TH

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration