28 chevy head on a stock engine

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 28 chevy head on a stock engine
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 12:07 am:

I have the 28 chevy head with most of the stuff to install it on a T engine. I have a stock 1920 T engine in my car, how risky is it to install the OHV on a stock crankshaft?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 12:12 am:

It has been done more then once or twice. I think the compression is under 6-1 which is about the same as a Z head. You are getting larger valves with the 1928 for better breathing. Google mtfca; chevrolet and you should get lots of info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 12:22 am:

If David Dare from down under still lurks here he would be one to answer this. I sold him a '28 head a few years ago. If you had the whole engine you could put the Chevy crank in too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 01:11 am:

I have the whole engine, but I'm not wanting to undertake the crankshaft swap, at least not yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 06:26 am:

Daniel, I believe I bought a '28 Chevy head from you earlier this year. Did you get one of Jern's adapter plates? I was considering making my own that would hopefully use off the shelf gaskets vs. his special gaskets.

Please post up a good write up as there doesn't appear to be good info on the part of the installation. Most previous posts I found just shows the end product / result.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 09:09 am:

Hi Daniel,
I will be seeing you soon and we can talk about the head installation. I have some experience with this.
John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 02:04 pm:

Chad, I did get a jern adapter plate. The head is currently at the machine shop getting some work done to it.
John, I will try and remember to ask you when I see you.
Thank guys

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 02:18 pm:

Be sure they magnaflux it. Many of them are cracked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 05:55 pm:

Yeah I did, it was clear. The valve seats are bad so I'm having hardened seats installed. I need to track down or make a water outlet. I have the chevy one, but I don't think it will work with my T radiator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 06:04 pm:

Daniel, the Chev 28 Head I got at Hershey last year came with a thick cast iron (or steel?) adapter plate, and the cast aluminum water outlet which looks like a standard T outlet bolts to it. Basically another adapter. I will try and get a pick of it later tomorrow for you if you want. Im interested in your build. In a few years I plan on taking on a speedster project. But will be working on the engine sooner. Im not even sure who made my adapter plats.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 10:14 pm:

I've got a head that I had planned on using on a future project. Maybe it's too late, since Mr. Jern passed. I need the plate and gaskets if I'm ever going to use it. Work just gets in the way of having fun!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 10:44 pm:

Take your pick of info;
https://www.google.com/search?q=mtfca%3B+chevrolet&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration