Old Car Festival

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Car Festival
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald Naab on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 12:24 am:

Judging during Old Car Festival uses modified AACA rules. What is different from standard AACA rules. I am entering 19133Model Touring. Will I be required to have side curtains. This is my first time to the event. Any help is appreciated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 04:21 am:

Yup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 07:42 am:

You can forget any kind of anything without side curtains - it's like half the points. The problem with the judging is they don't give you any kind of feedback as to what points were deducted. You get absolutely no clue as to how many points you scored or what you should do differently for next year. Last year the one judge told me they used to give score sheets back but got too many arguments from the participant; I get that, but everyone want's to know what they did right and what needs to be corrected. If you don't want to hand the person a tallied sheet, then mail them out a few weeks after the festival.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 08:36 am:

Agree Bill, its frustrating to be judged without knowing the results. It is really a waste of time for both parties.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 11:54 am:

I've never been to the MTFCI tours, but I understand that when your car is judged, they give you a printed off sheet with all the numbers on it telling you how many points your car scored overall and what deductions were made and why. Can't be all that difficult. Where are you going to be located at the OCF, Don?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 12:26 pm:

Bill I didn't sign up for judging this year. However, I didn't sign up to be judged last year nor did Ed Baudoux but when we checked in they had us up for judging. I don't know what will happen this year but if possible I would like to meet with you there. I'm taking the 27 Fordor so if we aren't in the judging area we should be lined up in 1927 ropes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 12:27 pm:

Bill, The actual Judging sheets from MTFCI Judging are given to the owners of the judged car at the end of the tour. Further, as an MTFCI Judge, I am happy to answer any questions that an owner may have on a car I judged.

Please bear in mind that MTFCI judging is done to factory (not dealership) original condition which is spelled out in the MTFCI Judging Guidelines. An exception to this (except for Stynoski judged cars) is for safety equipment like stop lights, period correct extra brakes and turn signals.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 05:20 pm:

Keith, that's what I thought - great way of doing things; I just wish the OCF folk would do the same regarding judging.

Don, I'd like to meet up as well; I'm in the judging area and have always tried to get a spot pretty close to the Eagle Tavern. Send me a pm and I'll give you my cell number.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 05:58 pm:

While I totally understand, and agree, that judging encourages better quality and more correct restorations (and therefore I am totally in favor of judging in principle). I am also glad that I have never had a car of mine judged.
While I very much like to be a part of "the show". I have never had a car that was quite as nice as I wanted it to be. Just a fact of my life. I have never had either the time or the money to do a car as well as I wanted to. I have often said, that I would rather have the worst car on a good tour than have the best car sitting in a garage. The fact is, I have never had the worst car on any tour. Although, that one speedster about eight years ago came close? (I did turn it into a fairly nice car the following year, but sold it before ever taking it on the Endurance Run again.)
I like to see the other cars, hear them running, and watch them to experience the sights and sounds and smells of wonderful history! And I like to do at least some of my fair share, bring my car, drive it, let it be seen and heard. I love tours, where I can drive my car, following others down the many miles. And I love to look behind me, and see the other cars following me. I love shows (especially active ones) where one can also spend much of the day looking the cars over, and talking to the owners, listen to the many stories.
So, I encourage and support good judging! I also advocate not having your car judged. Why waste their time if you know your car isn't quite up to judging standards?
Some day. I do hope to make it to the OCF. It looks like the best of the best shows on Earth!
Drive carefully, and do enjoy! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Eyre on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 09:25 pm:

I'm out. Won the class last year on Sunday and turned down this year after being invited. Oh well. First time in 22 years I'll miss it. It's probably just as well anyway I have lots of work on other Model T restoration projects going. Doing a 11 Torpedo roadster for my dad. When your gone on the weekends it's hard to get anything done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 11:02 pm:

Mark,Sorry to hear that and i'm having a hard time understanding? Bud DeLong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 01:40 am:

Mark,

How unbelievable! Sounds like it has left a bad taste in your mouth? You will be missed!
Enjoy the work on your other projects, to help keep your mind busy.

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 05:58 am:

I got rejected this week too. My wife's car is out. They noted that she has an incorrect rear bumper on her car. The funny thing is they're wrong. The bumper is correct for the car and I replied with documentation (Judging Standards and Books from their bookstore)which state otherwise.

This is going to be interesting this year because my wife can no longer climb into our T without assistance. She started bringing the A because it was a shorter step.

I have not received a reply when I countered their rejection with documentation stating the bumper is correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 12:41 pm:

Tom, will you still bringing another car? Will we still see you there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 01:05 pm:

Ed,

I'll have my '16 and may bring the '31 if only to park outside the garage on Saturday.

I installed a flap and remounted a clincher on a new rim in less than 15 minutes last night. A new personal best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 01:32 pm:

Screw the judging!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Nikolajevs Dearborn, MI on Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 08:05 pm:

Unfortunately it's not about the judging. Can't even get in without a "Golden Ticket". They have always separated the judged from the unjudged and could continue to do the same if they chose to. Perhaps even slap a warning label on non-authentic parts. :-) (Although I'm not sure they'll have enough for all the black tires.)

If too many cars were the issue then why have they invited others who have not attended previously?
No offense is meant to those who have been invited for the first time and I know they will have a great time. I just do not understand the logic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Eyre on Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 08:37 pm:

My dad got in with his 09 touring so at least I'll get to go. I don't understand it either. I was told that they needed to get rid of 200 or so cars from a person who judges.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 08:57 pm:

Like Jon mentioned in another thread,i hope they do not forget what built the place!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Macleod on Friday, August 12, 2016 - 06:36 am:

OCF is indeed the best of the best shows but if you find that they may have lost their way there is an up and coming show at the Gilmore Car Museum and they even have a tour. The show is in late May and is a good alternative. As for the notion that a first place winning car being ineligible the next year, all I can say is I've seen the car and I think it was done spot on for what was known about Ford colors in 1913. Personally I think it should have been accepted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Friday, August 12, 2016 - 07:11 am:

Now this just doesn't make sense to me; if Mark's '13 was considered the best of the best by the judges last year why in the world would they turn him down for an invite this year? Are there too many 1913 Model T Touring? I hardly think so. I just don't get the logic. I've said it before and I'll say it again; just allow one entry per family and you'd free up plenty of space.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, August 12, 2016 - 07:25 am:

Maybe it's not the paint or the car??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Peterson on Friday, August 12, 2016 - 07:37 am:

Good Morning. It sounds like the people who like to live in a perfect world of cars do not seem to have much fun. I will keep having fun with my unrestored cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Friday, August 12, 2016 - 08:18 am:

There are a good number of unrestored cars there. They get a lot of attention. Especially from me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Eyre on Friday, August 12, 2016 - 08:39 am:

I just wanted to go. It's a tradition and I have taken restored and unrestored cars there in the past. With restored cars it's a matter of I do all my own work mechanical painting and what interior I can. It's just a whole lot easier to load up the car and drive in for the day. As far as one family with multiple family cars that is when you have many generations of the same family involved in the hobby. My son had his speedster there a couple years back and is still talking about it. That is one positive way to keep younger people involved which our hobby desperately needs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Friday, August 12, 2016 - 12:16 pm:

Well said Mark.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Byrne - Racine, MN on Friday, August 12, 2016 - 02:36 pm:

Well said Bob Peterson!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 09:13 am:

Getting close. Ready to go and trans in my diesel started leaking at the converter.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration