Fairground Racers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Fairground Racers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robb Wolff on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 10:00 am:

The Alberta Fairground T Racers put on a exhibition this weekend in Sundre this past weekend which unfortunately I missed. We have two more races planned for this season.

Here are some photos of our June meet.

Stake Howe, Tim Pearson and Harry Lillo discussing Harry's original #19 racer. #15 car in the foreground was the winning racer in 1949.

A large crowd showed up for the race. (photo by Jim Kelsall)

The track was so dusty that at times it was difficult to see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 10:04 am:

That is just too cool for school !! Thank you for posting up the pics

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 10:27 am:

Robb, I sure am glad that you folks have continued to pursue this endeavor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 10:37 am:

That is Great.

I recognized Stan and Tim by just looking at the picture.

The track picture is Muy Bitchin!

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robb Wolff on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 10:59 am:

This is Peter Anderson driving a car originally raced by Gordon Rasmussen in the 40's. Rasmussen and his friend Tommy Fraser said that to be competitive they had to be able to go at least 70 mph on the gravel road in front of the Rasmussen farm.

Same car 75 years ago. The Calgary Herald news article about the first race in 1941, held on the chuckwagon track at the Stampede Grounds, said that at the end of the race hardly any of the infield fence was left standing.

Thought you might find the intake/exhaust set up interesting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 11:15 am:

WOW!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 11:28 am:

That made my year! Very, very cool!

Thanks for sharing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robb Wolff on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 12:20 pm:

In the past few years Cliff Proctor has suffered two heart attacks, several strokes, he is on dialysis and has a bad back that keeps him from walking any distance. All that is forgotten when he is on the track.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rolf Oehman on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 12:45 pm:

Fantastic pictures. I especially like the dusty one with the wild bunch approaching. The side view of one of the racers with motion blur really makes me feel the speed.Piece of art.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 01:20 pm:

Oh, I don't know if I can express how much I wish I could have been there to see that. The photos are fantastic. I'd love to experience the sounds, the smells, the sights of such an event. I feel very lucky to have my speedster but I'm envious because it doesn't have the battle scars of those old racers. Great thread/great photos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 04:25 pm:

Might note that Robb spelled my name wrong. It's not Stake, it's Steak. I changed it from Stan when I got so fat from eating all that steak! And bacon. And Ham. And Cookies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 04:40 pm:

Great fun! Wonderful photos! Thank you for sharing!
Been (somewhere else), did (something like that). Most fun I have ever had, EVER!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 04:42 pm:

This is a great post and thanks for sharing it. The photo of the group running in the dust would make a great wall mural at the museum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. South Coast. NSW. OZ on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 06:33 pm:

Do I see a Massey Harris tractor grille in there somewhere?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 06:56 pm:

Stan, just so they don't call you late for supper. :-) Especially if they're serving STEAK!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 07:06 pm:

Rob, I noticed that grill also. I really liked the patina on that engine with the upside down intake and exhaust.
Thanks so much for posting. Sure would like to see or be in one of those races. It's so great that the survivors of past racers are still around!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 07:41 pm:

It is from a Massey Harris 44.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 07:43 pm:

Gene and Rob,
is that why they call them barnyard racers?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 07:50 pm:

What a fun posting to look at. Also found my new wall paper for the computer....

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Burg on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 07:57 pm:

Thank you Rob for posting all the pictures, I really enjoyed them. It looks like a lot of fun.
Les

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 09:09 pm:

Video: https://youtu.be/2Za6g-6dO0g

https://youtu.be/YA_kXztq1hc

https://youtu.be/QwDwDWD85P8

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 09:37 pm:

Robb-

Thanks for posting. Looks like great fun, even without the pigs!

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 10:35 pm:

Good videos. All the time I was watching them on the track I kept wondering when the water wagon would go through and wet things down. Regardless, it looked like a great event.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Skingley ......Westland, Michigan on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 07:19 am:

That picture of the engine from the right side is auto Art at its best...............

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Smith on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 07:50 am:

Robert has it right. Chasing that perfect wave and here it is. My guess is that picture will stand up to time. Printed and laminated on the wall in the garage! Inspiring in many ways. Fun thread!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 10:14 am:

I didn't have my actual video camera with me, I just shot those on the "movie" setting on my old Fuji. I was surprised at how good they turned out and wish I had taken more.

That racer with that picture is ART! isn't it. Robb is a great photographer, his photos have graced the covers of Vintage Ford several times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 10:55 am:

I think it's time to sell the Mustang and build a speedster. It'd be much more enjoyable. ;)

Thanks for the videos and pictures. I'm sure my wife will appreciate them.lol

jk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 01:02 pm:

I'll confess, I stole 4 of the photos for my albums. I've also got to say, I've got a strong appreciation for speedsters. I wish there was a similar event closer to home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robb Wolff on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 04:20 pm:

Hi everyone,
Life caught up to me so I am only now getting back to this post. I will try to answer your pm's later today. Here are a couple more shots.

Trevor Landage built his racer in 6 weeks - that is one of the reasons he chose #6

Trevor's father was a racer who graduated from Ts to sprint cars. Here is Trevor doing a hot lap in his dad's car.

Ted Zylstra owns a large auto repair shop. His group works wonders on modern iron but he is still trying to understand the T ignition system.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 06:56 pm:

there is a nice book about the canadian T racers called "roaring lizzies:model t ford racing in alberta,1941 to 1951". written by Kelly Buziak. lots of photos, i got mine off ebay a few years back, dont know if they are still available

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 08:27 pm:

Stan - Really nice videos!!!

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Walker on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 07:30 pm:

I'm still learning how to drive mine. Like on these hot summer days, don't charge up the hills or it'll boil. And try to stay out of the throttle because it'll boil. That old brass 20hp radiator just can't keep up.

I need to recore the radiator, or obtain one built for the extra horsepower. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 08:11 pm:

David
If it was mine I would proceed as follows;
1.Remove it from the car.
2. Obtain a O ring that fits nicely in the radiator neck and seals the cap.
3. Lay it down front down on a piece of cardboard or other surface that won't scratch the front.
4. Fill it through one of the connections with straight "white" vinegar. Probably need at least 2 gallons. Fill until the lower tank is full.
5. Walk away for a day but inspect occasionally for leaks. Hopefully none
6. Carefully empty it into a plastic pail of suitable size
7. Inspect through the filler and connections to see what the status of scale removal is like. Perhaps flush it with lots of clean water through the bottom connection. Evaluate how much "crud" has come out and how clean the core now looks. If there is still lots of scale, then strain the used vinegar through a clean cotton cloth and repeat the process.
8. I prefer to do it in 12 hour cycles and flush and inspect each time. Once it seems to be clean and water flows freely through it them try it on the car again.
Note; don't overfill the rad on the car. About 2" in the upper tank is lots

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Walker on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 08:38 pm:

Thanks Les. I had the tank cleaned and inspected just before putting it on the road.

The radiator is a stock brass piece, but the head is a Rajo C-35, the piston's are Jahn's, and the crank is probably from a Model A. I'm concerned that there's simply too much horsepower for that radiator to handle. Is this possible?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 08:47 pm:

David
Unfortunately most rad shops don't actually descale a radiator They will clean out oil grease and maybe mud, but not old water scale. Drain the rad and inspect with a bright light. If you can see any scale in the tubes you will have found a problem!!
A CLEAN stock brass rad should have no problem cooling your engine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 10:16 pm:

I couldn't help but think of Mad Max when i saw the car of Ted Zylstra with the pipes up in the air! :-)
These are really cool pictures thanks for posting!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration