Amazon Radiators

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Amazon Radiators
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kirk on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 05:08 pm:

For my first question a little bit about my problem.
I have been attempting to repair my honeycomb radiator with poor results, 75% of it is in great condition, there is a one section that has all the leaks. It seems that something happened to a 10x10 inch section. Maybe it was ice damage, there is no damage visible on the outside but there are cracks in the water passages and most of the damage is on the front the back side has a couple. I have been able to fix some leaks but on some I had to patch the honeycomb opening because I canít get to the leak that is in the middle. I know this will affect its cooling capacity. I was hopeful at first and it is better but it seems for every leak I fix another pops up and it looks like crap. My plan was to cover it up with some black radiator paint but I have come to the conclusion that it is time for a new radiator. I have read other posts that Bergís radiator is highly recommended and I will get one from him.

But out of curiosity I have this question.
While doing a search for T radiators I came across these Ford tractor radiators being sold by Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D3RCVJA/ref=dra_a_rv_mr_hn_xx_P1400_1000?tag=dradisplay-20&ascsubtag=2a08651d7ca600ea0f7f8e01a492be76_S

https://www.amazon.com/86551430-Restoration-Quality-Ford-Radiator/dp/B0033C8DUQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_263_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=41%2BrQBew7CL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR106%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=Y91EGA13NM57CHSN4QAY

They have others that are similar. Has anybody ever attempted to use or modify one of these radiators for use in a Model T? At around $230 they are a lot cheaper and at this point I am not concerned with originality.
radrad 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 05:15 pm:

Would love to hear if that's an option. Did you contact them about buying the core ... or having them transplant to your tanks?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 05:55 pm:

Take it to a local to you radiator shop and have it re-cored. I had mine done with a modern flat tube core for $450.00 I drove it on a couple 95 degree days without a fan belt. No gurgling after it shut down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 07:22 pm:

If there was some way to find out the dimensions of the Ford tractor radiator and if it was pretty close that might be the way to go. May have an issue if it wont fit the radiator shell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kirk on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 09:49 pm:

Mark, Amazon just sells them they don't make them. Getting the dimensions might be difficult. They are made by a company called Eagle and I think they are in India

http://eagleradiators.net/index.html

I think I will get one from Berg's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 10:38 am:

Peter, the 9n, 8n radiator is to narrow , don't remember how much but a good bit. Height wise I don't know, once I saw the width I no longer considered it. Bergs makes a good looking unit. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 11:31 am:

Peter
You sound like a handy guy. Consider just buying the core from a local supplier and install it yourself. You will learn a LOT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 11:35 am:

Peter, a new radiator from Bergs or Brassworks is a good and wise investment.

Consider this, when you need new tires, would you try to fit tractor tires to your car because they are cheaper?

A new radiator is a one time purchase that you will not regret and that problem will never have to be revisited again.

Been there, done that.

Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon - Richmond, VA on Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 02:08 pm:

I've got three Berg radiators and they all fit great. You'll be dealing with a small business that cares about you and costumer service!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kirk on Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 05:01 pm:

Thanks for the advice
I order a flat tube radiator from Berg's yesterday should get it in three weeks or less.

Very pleasant people to deal with!

I was just curious about the tractor rads they look similar but I wasn't going to use one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Jensen on Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 09:41 pm:

I Have an 8N that still has the original radiator. Most people on the Yesterdays Tractors forum say that most of the reproduction radiators don't fit the tractors that well. The metal in the repos is thinner than the originals. The tractor radiator is mounted with 2 studs on the bottom tank, and the top is held in place through the hood with the top hose. Most are too short and the pressurized streamlined cap does line up straight.
A new Bergs radiator will fit your T perfectly. Will be a good investment in keeping your car cool on tours.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration