Replacement Top Irons 1915 Runabout

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Replacement Top Irons 1915 Runabout
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob on Texas Gulf Coast on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 05:12 pm:

I am looking to replace 1915 Runabout Top Irons. Having difficulty finding good used irons. Are those sold by vendors good and as originals? Is there a recommendation for manufacturer other than sold by vendors?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 05:22 pm:

There are some rather cheesey looking ones that some of the vendors sell - they work but do not look very similar to originals if you are within 10 feet.

Then there are the ones made and sold by John Boorinakis - they are nice. I think he has a 12 month waiting list at times, you could call him to find out.

I suspect that you actually need the sockets that the bows slide into. The top irons are the parts on the body that support the top assembly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob on Texas Gulf Coast on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 09:45 pm:

Royce is correct the sockets are what I am looking for. Anyone have his contact info?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 12:09 am:

He advertises in Vintage Ford

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 06:07 am:

Bob,

I didn't see him in the last issue of the "Vintage Ford" but he is listed on the Supplier's Page of this forum see: http://www.mtfca.com/suppliers/Suppliers.htm Scroll down and you will find:

John Boorinakis
545 Dairy Road
Auburn, CA 95603
Phone 530-885-4956
Fax 530-887-0863.

Top Bows and Top Sockets for Model T Fords, 1909-1927, and others. For information please call, write, or visit our web site E-mail John

Note I'm 90% sure he no longer maintains the web site (I'll drop a note to the club recommending removing that dead link) but the other information should be good. There is also a place to click on a "send e-mail".

Good luck with your top.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leon Parker - Benton, Kentucky on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 10:29 am:

Bob
Try Mel's Leather and Horsehair. He also makes top iron sockets. He is located in Ohio.
419-368-3226.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 01:49 pm:

I think it would be easier to find a complete original 1914-1917 top assembly (sockets with bows) than screw around with reproductions.

May take a little patience but they are around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Findlay on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 11:40 pm:

I purchased a reproduction set of 15 roadster top sockets from John. They are an excellent product. I was so impressed I got another set for my 11 touring from him. All the used pieces I was able to find had so much rust that it didn't make sense to try and fix them. Well worth the wait in my opinion.
Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Friday, August 12, 2016 - 05:41 pm:

I have a set of irons and bows that came from a T touring circa 1915-16. They look as if they were reworked to fit a roadster. not correct for ROADSTER and not complete for a touring. They are not rusted and seem to be in good condition, iron and wood. They are located at my home in Orono, MN . For pick up only. trade or sale. I had not thought of them until I saw this post.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration