New London to New Brighton 2016

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: New London to New Brighton 2016
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 09:35 pm:

Today marked the beginning of the 30th Annual Antique Car Run. Ford Motor Company was well represented, with many pre Ts and half a dozen Ts. The '15 and earlier Ts are allowed on the weekday tours, but they're too new for the big run on Saturday.

Here's a few photos from our tour to a mega dairy farm near Willmar, MN. The farm has 8,500 head of dairy cows. They milk them, 160 at a time on a rotating carousel.

Lining up

Lunch stop

Rob and Ahna

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 09:45 pm:

More photos:
'12 Touring

Line up at the farm

Mega barn

Four Perfectly Simple, Simply Perfect cars

Photo proof that Tim Kelly doesn't believe in garage queens

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 10:06 pm:

Eric, Thanks for the pictures. I sure would like to be there, maybe some day.

On the second to the last picture you posted, are there 3 or 4 Maxwells? Just wondering...

Thanks, Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 10:12 pm:

Love seeing those cars on the road. Great pics. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 10:26 pm:

Thank you Eric H! Looks like the beginning of a beautiful tour!
Is the second Maxwell yours? I think the fourth car in that line-up is a '12 Maxwell Messenger.
Both Ford Ks look great!
Drive carefully, all, and do enjoy! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 10:46 pm:

Yes, from right to left: John Pole's '11 AB, my '08 LC, Jim Laumeyer's '10 AA, Vince Smith's '12 AC Messenger. In the background, is Rob's ginormous Ford.

The tour is shaping up well. We have a total of 80 cars registered for the week; 73 qualify for the big run on Saturday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 12:47 am:

I hope to see you at the finish on Saturday :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Me on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 03:41 am:

I had to double checke as I thought London to Brighton, Right hand drives. Thats in the UK and that looks wayyyy to sunny!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 05:08 am:

Sorry to be confusing Me! New London and New Brighton are cities in our state of Minnesota. Some years ago, a few enterprising hobbyists decided they should do an antique car run for early cars there. It has become a fairly popular annual event since, and is attended by several regulars on this forum most years.
While perhaps not as prestigious as your original London to Brighton Commemorative Run, it is a wonderful event, and you may well enjoy following along. Know also, that some of us, including me myself, follow along with the reports and videos of your Commemorative Run almost every year. I have always wanted to somehow attend your London to Brighton Commemorative Run. But I haven't even been able to make it to this one yet. Maybe in a couple more years.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 07:23 am:

Looking close will show that Mr Kellys model k will never have a rust issue. What does one use to clean up that much oil without hurting the finish?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 06:23 pm:

David, virtually all of the Pre T automobiles had open valves and constant loss oil systems. In short, they leak and are messy. Unlike the Maxwell, the Ford, Buick and REO cars of the era even had open transmissions, giving more opportunity to sling oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Rogahn - Davisburg, MI on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 06:52 pm:

How many of these wonderful cars will be going to OCF?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 10:22 pm:

David, our early cars "leak" a substantial amount. I suspect part of the problem is that we over lube them (more is better). Additionally, wear and more tolerances probably add to the problem more than it did "in the day." If you live on gravel, and would like an oil top road, I suggest scheduling an early car tour annually....... :-)

Eric, thank you so much for the great pics of my daughter and car. It was a special time with my sixteen year old.

Aaron, if all goes as planned, all three Model K, along with several of the other early Ford's will be at OCF that are on the NLNB tour.

Wayne, we actually had three K together on the Early Ford Tour and first day of NLNB. I know three K have been at other events, but am not aware of three of them on a tour.

A few clips of the three K and a 1912 T. The first is as shot. The second with my unusual music choice. I'm calling the 1:33 min. clips "Three K, one T and a Kid:"

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mqyl3uiu7v2nwvu/Video%20Aug%2006%2C%203%2032%2057%20PM .mov?dl=0

With music:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sqae6v35t9bsbcb/Video%20Aug%2010%2C%208%2052%2048%20PM .mov?dl=0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 10:47 pm:

Nice video, Rob. Almost as good as being there.....but not quite!!!

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 10:54 pm:

Rob,
Speaking of oil leaks, do your early Fords have vented breathers like the oil filler on the T? My Maxwell has a closed crankcase to supply pressure to the oil tank that feeds the drip oilers. That means that there's pressure in the crankcase pushing oil out of every spot that there's a shaft or bolt, on every revolution of the engine. With your mechanical oilers, you wouldn't need a "sealed" crankcase.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 11:10 pm:

Eric,
Model N have pressure oilers, provided from the exhaust. K, R and S use a mechanical oiler. For whatever reason, NRS push oil out the breather/fill tube, maybe because of where it's located, on the right side of the engine.

Model K have a small breather tube on the left side of the engine, and both cars I've had experience with didn't push oil out these small oil tubes (same size as NRS).

Fords came with a "diaper," or belly pan under them, and that helps keep the "flow" restricted somewhat.

I know Ford, like many carmakers, sold cars with cream chassis. I can't imagine keeping a light color clean with regular use. I guess that was another reason to use a chauffeur and/or garage.

I should add, like the six cylinder Rolls Royce (Silver Ghost 1907-1925), the Model K has an oil line to each cylinder from the oiler. Advertisements said this added oil to the thrust side of the piston, for lubrication and cooling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 11:20 pm:

Today, we did 78 miles, with a stop at the home of a gentleman that uses the profits from his crop insurance business to go safari hunting. Over half of his very large home is dedicated to hunting trophies.

My 15 year old, 6' 8" tall nephew makes my car look really small. Heck, he makes me look small and I'm 6'4", 290 lb. But, as overloaded as it was with the two of us making it look like a clownmobile, the little car performed well today. We had a great time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 11:24 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / St. Croix Valley Mn on Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 08:04 am:

Wonderful pictures Eric....Thank You very much!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Skip Anderson, Bloomington, MN. on Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 09:10 am:

Eric, great pictures of some fantastic autos. The tour seems to draw more and more autos every year. Thanks for posting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 10:00 am:

Love those two cylinder Maxwells! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 03:16 pm:

I love the cars, but I would have left the "petrified zoo" in a hurry. Why would any one, and I mean anyone, want to kill an elephant? Elephants are intelligent, caring and kind creatures. A Minnesota Dentist has a "petrified zoo". He boosted of shooting a baited lion which was a local pet in Africa.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 10:36 pm:

Today, our tour route was a modest 43 miles. We visited a farm near Atwater, MN. The farmer runs a very professional operation with up to date equipment. His hobby is tractor pulling. With over 1800 hp, his pulling tractor easily out powers the combined horsepower of the 34 antique cars out front of his barn.

I love the variety of makes and models that are attracted to this tour. In addition to see ong three Model K Fords in one place, we'll get to see a trio of equally rare, 1905 cross-engine Franklins. Two joined the tour today.

Our little Princess got her driver's license this spring. She's been practicing in the Maxwell this summer. Today, she drove 35 of the 43 miles. Can you say proud Papa?

My friend Bill Dubats, has discovered the joy of Maxwell ownership.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Friday, August 12, 2016 - 12:16 am:

Lest we all not forget one of the founding fathers of the NLTB run, the late great Gary Hoosbeen. Gary was a large part of the brass car movement in that area for many many years.

He wrote over 100 articles on restoration tips and how to articles for restorers. I hope they held a moment of silence in his honor.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Friday, August 12, 2016 - 08:33 am:

Gary was a good guy. We remember him fondly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Friday, August 12, 2016 - 05:30 pm:

Gary was a good friend. About 8 years ago Gary emailed a note that stated that: The old timers are leaving us. We should note what they did and how they contributed to our hobby. Now he is one of the old timers that has left us. We should look to the others that are still with us and note what they have done for our hobby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Friday, August 12, 2016 - 11:31 pm:

Darel, and Eric,

Amen to that. Not to far in the past I was one of the young guns, now, not so young and fast becoming one of the old timers. Damn time does fly faster as I grow older.

just sayin'

brasscraguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 01:07 pm:

I would be interesting if on this or another web site, there would be a special forum that would be devoted only to "people who made this hobby great or were a part of the early days (when did that start or end?) This forum would not by a year, but would continue on . Listings would be by last names and in order by name.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Dorholt - Mpls, MN on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 02:37 pm:

Eric, the survival rate on the Franklin Cross engines is actually quite high, they are pretty small and probably got tucked away somewhere. Donít forget there were 2 - 1907 Barrel Hood Franklins also on the run. All 5 Franklins Made it to the end!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 03:04 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 03:10 pm:

Dean and all, Sorry about the misinformation regarding the rarity of the cross-engine Franklins. I enjoy seeing the Franklins on tour. They help keep the mosquitos down. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 03:29 pm:

Friday, we had our usual tour around Green and Nest lakes, followed by the evening parade in New London and a chicken and rib dinner at the Legion. As the week goes on, more interesting cars show up. The high wheelers arrived!

I got several of the Maxwell owners to gather for a photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 03:33 pm:

Great photo Eric. Somebody should have done the same with the Buicks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 03:48 pm:

Saturday was a great day! I didn't get many photos because I was too busy enjoying the drive with my wife. It's hard to explain how different this tour is than any other that I've been on. There are enthusiastic spectators gathered in small groups all along the 126 mile route. It's like being in a parade, except you get to enjoy rolling countryside and you don't have to drive slow. At each of our scheduled stops, people roll out the red carpet for us. Hundreds gather at the finish line to welcome us into New Brighton.

Starting line

Grove City

Kingston. Here, they block off the main road through town and feed us pork and fresh, locally grown sweet corn. The Great Northern Model T Club (MTFCA) and T Totalers (MTFCI) greet us with a line up of 20-30 Model Ts. For about one hour, the tiny town is literally taken over by about a hundred antique cars and a few hundred spectators.

Finish line

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 03:50 pm:

Great pictures, thankyou! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 04:05 pm:

Really nice pictures. Thank you, Eric.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 04:21 pm:

Thank you to all of you who were able to go and make this a great event! And special thanks to those that posted reports and photos for those of us not able to go.
Somehow, I have got to figure a way to get my gasoline carriage done and there.
Drive carefully, and do enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 08:53 pm:

Great pictures-----Hope to be there next year !!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 10:06 pm:

Wayne, it really is a great event. I'd say a once in a lifetime event but it's one of the few things that happens in this state with an international feel to it and I'm close enough to go each year. If you are able to make it, I'd like to meet you. Heck, I might even consider buying you a cold drink. :-)

I remember the first year I owned a Model T the MTFCI had their annual get together in Rochester, MN and I was able to attend. I remember it was around 100 degrees the day I was there. I went to a store and purchased a case of bottled water and handed it out to some of the people. That was the last time I bought a cold drink for anyone at a Model T Ford event.

Heck, I'll buy you a cold drink regardless of the temperature (if I've got enough money)! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 12:50 am:

Eric how did the Holsman do on the tour. I have 1907 Holsman that's been in our family 54 years. Do you have the owners name ab a way I could contact him. I would love to drive mine in tour as we just got done rebuilding the motor. Absolutely love driving but not sure how it would do.

Pic of our 1907 Holsman....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 03:37 am:

Michael G, That alone would make the trip worth it!

Chris B, I hope you do try a few "small car" tours now that your engine should be really good to go! Very few people actually tour with high wheeler cars. However, a few I have talked to that have, have said they did quite well alongside the smaller Maxwells and REOs. I rode in one, (can't say who's) at somewhat over 30 mph. The ride was great! Although other owners say that they prefer about 22 mph.

Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 04:37 am:

eric
That's a cute '10 Brush (with the natural spoke wheels) -- was it able to keep up with the group? They're as much fun to drive as a T, although a bit slower!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 11:33 am:

Wayne, mom and I want to participate in one of the one and two cylinder tours. Just not sure if we could keep up with the group. Maybe now we could...She drives our 1909 Brush all the time. Mom burnt a rod up the first year we drove it for the Brooks SteamUp from our shop in Beaverton down to Salem for the show. We should have checked the oil before we left lunch. Oh well, spent a year completely rebuilding the engine and now it runs better then it did when my dad was alive and driving it. The Holsman would be fun drive too, still getting things in shape. Would fun to go with a group of equally matched cars.

Mom and Dads Brush with mom driving....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 11:55 am:

The Holsman did pretty well. I followed him for a few miles on Friday. He ran between 20-22 mph on the level, but even small hills dragged him down a bit. The Sears seemed to run about the same speed, but he didn't get dragged down as much on the hills. I think the high wheelers are pretty cool. I might talk myself into owning one someday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 12:13 pm:

David,

The single cylinder Brush, REO, Cadillac and Olds cars are all pretty slow and anemic on hills. People often joke that a passenger is needed to help push a Brush up a hill. They are very interesting and welcome on the tour, but they don't keep up with the faster cars.

Wayne,

While the 2-cylinder Maxwells are not fast cars, they hold their own. Many of us tour all day long at 22-26 mph. Where we really outshine the little REOs that you mentioned, is in the hills. We don't get dragged down by every hill that we come to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 12:14 pm:

It is so nice to see these wonderful cars.
Thanks so much.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 05:13 pm:

Eric,
I once pushed a brush up the back road to Paradise--well, only had to get out and push in one section! Still, I think they are a fun car, wooden axles and all!
And, of course, NOTHING keeps up with the Stanleys!!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 06:56 pm:

Yes, I think that it's a good thing that Gene Grengs, the driver of the '10 Stanley Roadster, doesn't realize that he's in a race with Rob's 6-40. Somebody would be very embarrassed. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 09:36 pm:

Uh, I was thinking of the one and two cylinder cars only!!! The 6 is cheating!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 11:22 pm:

I'd actually love to see the two of them have a little speed run. I think it would be close.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 11:57 pm:

Eric,
I agree, a steamer would be a handful for any car, especially with 1913 technology vs. 1907. However, I know at least one time a Ford K beat a steamer on the track:

The December 1, 1908 Ford Times mentioned the race:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Tuesday, August 16, 2016 - 03:04 am:

Cool! It turns out that Stanley made a Model K too. It was reportedly the street version of the 1906 World Record Car.

http://www.sealcoveautomuseum.org/collection/vehicle_list.php?vehicle=66

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, August 16, 2016 - 04:19 am:

then there was the model H, Gentleman's Speedy Roadster, advertised as doing "60 MPH on a good road." It was the 20hp version of the K.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration