Converting standard intake manifold to updraft

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Converting standard intake manifold to updraft
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 08:07 am:

Has anyone out there converted a standard model T Ford intake manifold to updraft? Pictures?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 08:37 am:

Do you mean downdraft? They are already updraft :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Otto on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 08:51 am:

I've got an A intake manifold on for mock up. I too was thinking about turning into a down draft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 09:02 am:

A stock T intake is for a side draft carburetor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 09:15 am:

Ok, the carb is side draft, the manifold is updraft. Some guys have tried the combination sidedraft / downdraft :-)

Xxx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 09:59 am:

I've found a Ford manifold someone has modified to a true updraft - I used it for a while on my pickup with a Model A carb, but there was a problem - no room for the generator, so I took it off again.

Ddd

The vendors sells an adapter that may help - but I'm going to test full sidedraft instead :-)

https://www.modeltford.com/item/INTAKE2.aspx

(Message edited by Roger K on August 10, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 10:00 am:

You can cut the neck and add a flange for your carb. If you are trying to mount something like an updraft Stromberg and have a generator, the fuel bowl is in the way if you just cut and add a flange. You would need to move the neck back somehow like adding an "S" between. Unless you want to run a pump you would also want to make the neck long enough so the fuel level in the bowl is below the bottom of the gas tank. The one I am showing had a double cut, at the flange and just under the cross tube. I had another that the neck was just cut and flange added, don't know where the photos of it are. Nether would work with any of the carbs with fuel bowl to front if running generator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 11:28 am:

A standard manifold is an up draft!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 11:39 am:

Yes but the carb's are side draft! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 05:20 pm:

There is some difference in nomenclature. Yes, the gas goes up to the engine in a standard manifold .... but not straight up from the carburetor. The standard carburetor is side draft and the flange on the standard manifold is also side mounted.

Now, the type I am referring to are those which have the carburetor flange facing up and drawing directly up ... so, isn't that updraft. Sorry I must be confused and don't know the difference between up and down. 😮

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 05:39 pm:

We are all confused sometimes :-)
Hopefully you've got some constructive answers among the above?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 08:13 pm:

No confusion on my part. :-) I understand exactly what you are asking see Roger and my photos.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration