OT Scammers are getting better:-(

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT Scammers are getting better:-(
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 08:28 am:

I have removed the link (it was going to some place in the Ukraine so I thought I would post this as a heads up.

Dear Sir or Madam
We have noticed that you have exhibited a great intrest in antique automobil of all types, which is why we are riting you this letter.
We are making new desktop background pictures from cars of the world in the 1920's and 1930's and for a screen saver we have gotten license for un released video snippets of Ford manufacturing plants in Canada and the u.k. all of this can be yopurs for usd $9.99. please click this link, we accept Paypal or us credit card.

Thank you
T.J.Jomes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 09:43 am:

It may be one of my many failings, but when I see a paragraph that is full of grammatical and spelling errors, I just assume it is a scam or that the person is stupid. I do make exceptions for people who live in non-English speaking countries who are doing their best with an unfamiliar language.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 11:25 am:

Speaking of scammers...(Be aware and ALERT when hearing) "The reason for this call is that the IRS is filing a lawsuit against you. Call us back at 747-xxxxxxx." Our Caller ID and voicemail have recorded the almost daily occurrence, knowing seniors to be prime targets.
The IRS does NOT call! - They send letters and have the paper trail!!
Should you receive such a call, contact your State's consumer protection office. Let them go at it to fight the scammers....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 11:50 am:

Marv is correct. The IRS would never contact a person in this manner. We get those calls in spurts, every day for a week or so, then nothing for a while, then another several days of every day.

My favorite calls are the ones that start out, "In response to your inquiry......." Yeah, right.

Simple rule: If it sounds like baloney, it no doubt is baloney.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 12:22 pm:

I had one of the IRS calls with a real person on the other end. Was going to put me in jail if I did send $500.00. I ask " I pay you $500.00 or I get Free room and board, free health care, free internet, free ac, free clothes and free tv. Come and get me. I will be waiting on the front porch." He hung up on me! Has not called back. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 12:37 pm:

Dan,
"Was going to put me in jail if I did send $500.00"?
I'm sure you meant "didn't"

Scammers is a much too polite term... I refer to them as "Bull S#%T Artists"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 12:45 pm:

Two stories in our local paper over the last 30 days. Apparently our IRS demands payment using iTunes currency.

http://www.hometownlife.com/story/news/local/livonia/2016/07/24/livonia-police-b riefs/87446580/

and

http://www.hometownlife.com/story/news/local/livonia/2016/08/04/livonia-resident -loses-cash-irs-scam/87995970/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 01:09 pm:

Yes, Didn't catch that typo when I did post it :-) Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 01:50 pm:

Email scams have traditionally been entertainingly inept, usually filled with bad spelling and grammar, and often with the scrambled syntax of someone unfamiliar with English. But one form of scam has seen dramatic improvement. Phishing emails pretending to be from familiar businesses are often very good now, with well written text and authentic graphics. But the giveaway is when they threaten some negative consequence if you fail to click on their link ("Your account will be cancelled due to inactivity.)"

So far my answering machine hasn't received any "IRS" calls. Maybe they haven't yet decided that I'm a demented old person ripe for the picking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 04:01 pm:

The big risk I see in G R C's original post is that they are trying to sell a "screen saver" designed with your special interests in mind. One way or another, said "screen saver" would have to be down loaded onto your computer! Can you think of any better way to put malware onto victim's computers? Malware that can identify your banking and other important information and send an email when you are not looking.
I certainly would not trust any message like that one. Even if it did sound like something I might like to see.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 04:54 pm:

OOOOTTTTT Just about two minutes ago I had this call and they said something that they were from the IT Department of Something(did not Understand) and that my computer was downloading information and was having a problem. Well I went along with it for about 1 1/2 minutes and the funny part is that I have a "COACHES WHISTLE" by my phone and I blew it several times and doggone she hung on me I asked if she could hear me and there was no response. Ha Ha on her part, bet she has a hearing problem for a while

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 05:45 pm:

This wasn't a scammer, just a wrong number a half hour ago, but I listened to the answering machine and a woman began a long story in what sounded like Chinese. It was the second time she called, so I broke my rule and answered. The number she was trying to reach was one number off from mine, so at least I have guaranteed that she won't call again.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 05:55 pm:

Mary
I recieved a IRS phone call like yours.
I just hung up.
Been getting a lot of calls wanting me to get collage loans. About 40 in 3 weeks. This week about 7 so far. They keep telling me they will remove no. But not so far

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 07:44 pm:

Marv......somehow those you-know-whats got my cell number which is known only to a few friends as I have a pay-as-you-go plan so pay for all calls incoming and outgoing.
The IRS scam was one relentless voice mailer and another was some "charity" in OK somewhere.
I had to silence voice mail notifications as they would come in 3's and 4's in rapid succession.....ARGH
They got so bad I had no choice but to have my number changed despite keeping current on the no-call list.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RJ Walworth, New York on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 08:19 pm:

These IRS scammers are from a another country and someone that is part of their scammer buddies get a phone hub to do these calls in the US. My opinion is for our useless government to go after the phone companies who give these guys these hubs. The phone companies would think twice with fines $$$ to stop this crap.
One day last week I got 2 from the IRS, 1 from the US Treasury, and 2 from the NYS taxation dept.
all had US ohone numbers from New York, Washington DC, and Oregon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 08:27 pm:

-Craig, and others, too-
Like Craig, my cell has a 'pay-as-I-go' plan. Consider those minutes to be your property you have purchased, because they are! When the doc or anyone asks for "any alternative phone?", the answer is "No." Same thing with an email address. Hospital and doctor info is often a hack target... If a family member is in surgery, "I can give you a trac-fone number I have along." If one publicizes their cell number, remember the potential consequences too. Not paranoid, just protecting and being very selective!
Marv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 08:27 pm:

There's also a new "IRS" letter going around asking for your pension information. Looks pretty convincing, but it's a scam. The stupid idiots refer to your pension as to what you "were awarded"....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 12:37 am:

A few years back I advertised for a "T" head motor. I got a response from a scammer. He asked me how many I wanted.

I told him they were quite rare, and I was prepared to ay $250,000.00 US funds cash, each and would take as many as he could supply.

They wrote back and told me their suppliers were working to fill my order. I reminded him my cash money was in escrow just waiting to be transferred electronicly to their account. Could they please forward their bank routing numbers and account number. Thinking they had a fish, they actually sent me the required numbers.

I took them to my bank and they were verified as legitimate account and routing numbers to a bank in Nigeria. My bank forwarded the information to some international banking overseeing agency and they shut down their account. While my banker could not share confidential information, but sorta let me know the account was froze and money was confiscated.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 02:26 am:

Given the fact that so many land line calls these days are from pests, I don't understand why anybody still picks up instead of letting a machine take the call. If you happen to be in the room and hear that it's a legitimate caller you want to talk to, you can pick up the call. If not, you can let the machine give said pest the electronic bum's rush.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 07:12 am:

Wayne : you nailed it, That was my biggest concern that it would be a great way to load malware and a "keystroke" recorder. So many scammers,......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 08:53 am:

Ditto that Steve! Same now with cell phones..they're hitting those too. If the call doesn't come up with one of my contact names on it, I let it go to voicemail. When doing business on the classifieds I make note of that and promise to call back to a legitimate caller.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Addington on Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 11:45 am:

I found a source of entertainment when tele marketers call. I let go on for a while and then stop them and say that I am having a hard time hearing them as I don't have my hearing aids in and ask them to start over. I usually can get them to start over two or three times before they hang up. Or I will stop them mid stride and try to sell them a mule or an old tractor or something like that. Nobody ever wants to buy anything I have LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 12:17 pm:

Steve,

How much for the mule? :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 12:46 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 04:53 pm:

I only have a cell phone. Got rid of the land line years ago. Only people that called it were my Mom and telemarketers. My Mom has my cell phone number. So.......

Yeah, they call my cell phone.....almost daily. I usually let it go to voice mail if they are not in my contacts. On the rare occasion I do answer and it's a telemarketer, depending on my mood, I will either have a little fun with them or get mad and tell them what I really think about them.......... and their lineage.

I continue to get calls from the 'free magazine' people at work. The calls are always for the guy who had my extension before he quit and they hired me. Last time, they called, I told them he passed away last week. Wonder how long before they call him again?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 05:17 pm:

Dan: we're having a run of those IRS calls here. In fact my Doctor told me he got one a few days ago. They were going to send the cops right over to pick him up. He also said go ahead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 05:53 pm:

This is a bit of thread drift, but I have a good suggestion.

I carry (among others) a Visa card, issued by my bank at no charge, no monthly charge, and it is automatically drafted to my account monthly, so no interest. In other words, free.

On two occasions, I have had that card "skimmed" at a restaurant while on a trip. It seems they target out-of-towners, knowing that it will be at least a couple of days before we get home and can be contacted by the bank with suspicious activity.

Both times, the bank has eliminated the spurious activity, cancelled the card, and sent me a new card.

Problem is, in the meantime several charges that get automatically charged to my card monthly, were rejected because the card had been cancelled. It caused me a lot of trouble, contacting the companies and giving them the new card number when it arrived.

This time, I told the fellow to send me THREE cards, with different numbers. All free, and all direct drafted to my account. He asked why, and this is what I told him:

Card #1 I carry in my wallet. If it gets skimmed and has to be cancelled and a new one issued, the direct-charged items go on as usual.

Card #2, which I keep at my computer, is used for on-line purchases only. If it gets skimmed, same as above.

Card #3, also kept at my computer, is used for the charges that are automatically made every month or quarter, or even annually, against my card. Again, if card #1 or even card #2 get skimmed and need to be cancelled, my regular vendors don't get inconvenienced by having my charges rejected, and I don't have to scramble to contact them all with the new number.

The fellow at the bank allowed as how "That's the smartest thing I ever heard! I'm going to do that myself!"

And I suggest you think about doing the same.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration