What's this noise?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: What's this noise?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 09:25 am:

This morning George House commented on the squeak heard in this video I posted last week. You hear it in all the road shots from inside the car. I don't think it's from the floorboards, because pressing them in several places by foot has no effect on it. I wonder if anybody else has had it, found the source, and fixed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOI1dbMYaiM

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 09:31 am:

I thought it was the cicadas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 09:36 am:

Steve, I have been looking to find a faint rattle in my Model A around the floor boards for 29 years with no luck. All the boards have felt on the edges where they connect to the metal and the body to frame bolts are tight. Still stumped after all these years. I have come to the conclusion that it may be my knee or ankle joints making the noise, :-) Hope you find the source, but then again Model T's have been known to have a few squeaks and rattles.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 09:42 am:

I had almost the same annoying squeak. I tracked it down to the upper door hinge. When driving, the windshield moved the cowl ever so slightly to make the hinge squeak. I oiled the hinge and the squeak disappeared.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 09:42 am:

Steve, my Dad was the master when it came to squeaky cars. He'd always be on a mission to hunt them down and eliminate them. Some of that rubbed off on me, but I think my Model T has beaten me. Seems the best I can do is know what the car sounds like and then spot any NEW sound and hunt for that. Otherwise I have decided to just let it be. MIke

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 10:00 am:

Roger, they didn't ride with me. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 10:08 am:

Mine was doing that until I greased the pivot points for the top. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 10:14 am:

RE; faint rattle in my Model A around the floor boards for 29 years
Could be light rod in the steering shaft. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 10:22 am:

Mark, Sound comes from the right side near the passengers feet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 10:38 am:

Push and pull on different parts of the car when it's in the driveway until you figure out where it's coming from, then decide whether it's worth doing something about or not.

My '24 has a persistent rattle - turned out to be the mixture control rod bouncing around in the firewall slot - I haven't decided quite what (if anything) to do about it yet. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 10:59 am:

Windshield glass a little loose in the channel? Had that in a new car. Hell to find. Seemed tocome from everywhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 11:06 am:

I have a few noises like these in my TT. I've learned that they go away if I leave my hearing aids home. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 11:15 am:

That noise will stop whenever whatever is causing it falls off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 11:19 am:

Michael;
Choke rod passing through firewall, parking brake assembly, muffler/tail pipe (tail pipe hanger just a little too loose), door on manifold heater if you have one, loose step plates in door. Those are the thing I can think of on the passenger side that could rattle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 11:21 am:

Have you checked the fuel mixture rod?

By the way, the car in the video is unusually quiet for a Model T.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 12:56 pm:

Fan wiggling on bracket? Those can make a rattle squeak. The fan bushing can squeal too for a short time and then stop...froze, I know :-(

Once had squeak similar, was splash shield on driver side rubbing on fender. Also had a squeak rattle from the accessory Klaxon horn, the plunger rattling on the gear inside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 01:28 pm:

Steve, that squeak could just be just coming from Sunny House. (George)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 02:12 pm:

Might not be the car at all! You never did really say that YOU heard it Steve. Could it be that the squeak has to do with the way the camera was mounted and that the only thing that HEARD it was the camera and the squeak is really only heard on the video? (....stranger things have happened....)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 03:09 pm:

I've heard of exhaust sleeves at the head falling out and rattling and squeezing in the pipe at the muffler.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 08:23 pm:

My choices would be to check for a manifold leak and give the timing a tweak. I think the high pitch squeak is bug related.Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 10:13 pm:

I have the same noise. In my case it is the thimble on the right side of the radiator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 10:31 pm:

I usually try to ignore squeaks and rattles, because after all it's a Model T and that's part of it's charm. :-) But there are some high pitched squeaks that would drive you absolutely nuts, and i, like Steve in Tenn. found mine at the radiator thimbles also. A few squirts of JB blaster and I'm usually good for a few weeks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 10:39 pm:

John - good idea. I'll try that. I was thinking of putting a piece of rubber in there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 10:45 pm:

Could it possible be a dry fan hub bushing? I once had a similar sound when driving our model T and it was the fan hub bushing. You have great touring areas with no traffic. Thanks for all your interesting posts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 10:51 pm:

Steve, i had the same thought and put a small piece of rubber on the frame when i had the radiator out, and the noise was still there. I think the culprit is the area between the spring and the thimble.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 01:27 am:

This is what I was after. Lots of good suggestions to check out. Harold, I think I can rule out the camera mount theory. So far my hand doesn't squeak.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 02:59 am:

I had one that was a crack in the front crossmember.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 04:02 am:

Apparently, G.R. and I had the same experience. _Try oiling all the pivot-joints in your top irons, particularly the ones that are cotter-pinned. _My squeak, which sounded like yours, disappeared after doing that.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration