Mag coil repair

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Mag coil repair
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 06:25 pm:

I am replacing the triangular block of fiber that supports the contact button on a mag coil. I need to select the right material for the piece. I will be screwing a washer into the triangle to accept the solder and complete the button. I need material that will hold up to heat, be a good insulator and be easy to machine, and of course strong enough to accept a screw. I was thinking about using Delrin. Is there a better choice?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 06:40 pm:

Linen base phenolic would be my choice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 07:09 pm:

You mean these

Found these in a bunch of NOS stuff. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 07:17 pm:

Richard
I believe Delrin would be a good choice. Easily machinable, drilled and tapped.
Having been around this insulator some be sure to be very careful about the screw lengths of the solder pile base.
Ron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 07:56 pm:

And the cheapest way to get some is, pinch the cutting board out of the kitchen! but of course you will need to go to the $2.00 shop to buy mum a new one!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 08:52 pm:

Delrin melts at 347F, less than the melting point of tin lead solder. I don't think this is the place for a thermoplastic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 10:14 pm:

Thanks for the responses, fellows. Dan, I sent you a private email.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 07:01 am:

The more I think about Delrin and the heat issue Ted points out it may not be the right choice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 10:08 am:

Micarta can be had from e bay and a small piece will make several. KGB

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration