1911 Coil Box - Type

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1911 Coil Box - Type
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 11:58 pm:

Here are a couple of pictures of the coil box that is in my 1911 touring. As you can see grandpa added some shims to the coils. Are these the right coils for the box or did grandpa jury rig later coils to fit the early box?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 12:06 am:

You need to find four original Heinze coils for your box. They are on ebay all the time, or I would suggest contacting RV Anderson, in Kennedy, N.Y.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 01:07 am:

This what you need.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/322218839391?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STR K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 01:13 am:

The coils look like they are standard size KW coils. Not cut down to fit into an early Heinze box. Maybe it is a modified 1913 box?

Philip-
What is the front to back dimension on a coil?

Original Heinze coils have a reputation of being problematic as that can get out of adjustment. Master Vibrators took care of that problem, then the standardized KW/Ford coil solved that problem.

I would not hesitate to use the later coils if they operate properly and effectively.

If you are going to have a show car, or just want to have the correct coils, I can fix you up with a set. Contact me off the forum.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 11:17 am:

Actually it's a modified '12 box. The lip for the lid looks like it's been cut off. I think you'd have trouble using original Heinze units in this box as the original lid, needed to hold the units properly, won't work with them now. If you like to fiddle around with this kind of thing, you could graft a good upper edge from a junky box onto the one you have, restoring the original dimensions, and re-fit your lid to the new lip.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration