Question about painting of T parts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Question about painting of T parts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Goodheart, Edwards, NY on Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 07:48 am:

Continuing with restoration of my 1919 touring I have the rear axle done, I installed repro spring shackles from Bob's Antique Auto Parts, Should these be painted ? They look good unpainted but will they rust ? This was my first order from Bob's. Fast friendly service, good pricing.
Another question I am working on the front axle and now painting the spindles. Should the area between the two bearing surfaces be painted ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 07:54 am:

The shackles are not plated and they will definitely rust. Paint them black and then make sure they're oiled well thereafter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 08:08 am:

For chassis parts I like satin finish black Rustoleum. If you have to use any new fasteners (nuts & bolts), paint won't stick to them unless you remove the cad plating. I do it with muriatic acid, then rinse, prep, and paint. I'm not married, so I bake them dry in the kitchen oven. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 12:07 am:

I use gloss engine enamel, built in primer. Gloss or semi.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration