I guess this was the wrong place to ask about my 1920 MODEL T truck w CHAIN DRIVE

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: I guess this was the wrong place to ask about my 1920 MODEL T truck w CHAIN DRIVE
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brett Hankins on Friday, August 12, 2016 - 12:32 am:

well I was really hopin to hear from some of you guys, I guess this was the wrong place to ask about model T's. haha. Does anyone have an opinion on rarity or value? I had 4 or 5 guys post on my classified add and I responded to thier questions and comments then nothin. Id TRUELY appreciate your guys input, I am not after dollar signs, thats why I wanna know what someone really feels its worth. I thought like 2500 was fair, but 3 people told me dont start less than 10 grand, and I just feel thats way too high? Is it? your thoughts?? I really appreciate any input, thanks in advance. Brett

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, August 12, 2016 - 12:58 am:

I gather you're after suggestions on a price. With no other information than it being a 1920 Ford with a chain drive kit, a reasonable price could be anywhere from $1000 or less to $8000 or more. It's common for people unfamiliar with Model T's to assume they're worth a lot more than they really are, and I take any suggestion of ten grand for any Model T truck with a grain of salt. It would have to be exceptionally fine to draw anywhere near that kind of dough. If you want some reasonable suggestions, you'll need to give the folks more detailed information.

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG100.html

(Message edited by steve_jelf_parkerfield_ks on August 12, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, August 12, 2016 - 02:34 am:

Brett,
Post some pics and some more information, cab type, etc. etc. and I'm certain folks here will be glad to make some suggestions!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, August 12, 2016 - 04:02 am:

Looks like an interesting project. It is a rare kit, and therefore probably difficult to find other people that have one.

I went back and found your thread on the classified area where I thought I remembered seeing it before.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/3487/666442.html?1470842641

That link should show a few pictures, and some discussion. The classifieds area is really the wrong place for questions and answers, simply because many people don't frequent both the discussion forums and the classifieds forum. Discussions over there tend to get missed by some of the best answer givers over here.
Better pictures would also help. Some good overall shots showing the whole truck, as much as is there, along with good close-ups of the modified rear-end and heavy suspension, also the frame additions.

As to value? Some of us, including me, really don't like to appraise other peoples stuff uh cars. Truck kits are especially difficult. A few have a following that makes those few more desirable. Others just flat out scare potential collectors away because they are just too different than what they are used to.
I think the truck you have looks like great potential for the right restorer

This should be the right place to ask about your truck. Add links to other threads, but try to get the discussion into a cohesive thread, or numbered group of threads, so that the entire discussion can be followed.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Friday, August 12, 2016 - 07:10 am:

Its going to be worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it and since it is a specialty item, that someone will b one who is looking for that exact sort of vehicle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Friday, August 12, 2016 - 10:00 am:

Brett,

My input is that what you're really selling here is the chassis and chain drive unit. The front sheetmetal metal is okay but whomever buys it is going to have to adapt a cab to turn it into a truck. Sure, a flat bed could be added, but that half car,
half truck look isn't for everyone.

Chain drive will also likely mean that speed will be limited. Note that a lot of TT owners are already looking for ways to make their trucks go faster so that they're more practical to own.

I cannot see anyone paying more than $5k for this when a complete TT can be bought for that price or a little more. Even the most expensive aftermarket rare items (OH valve heads, transmissions, rears) rarely bring more than $5k. How many emails you got since you posted this ought to clue you in to the desirability. If the answer is none, I suggest pricing it accordingly.

One final note is that all the info you put in the ad about the provenance likely will have no bearing on the selling price. If it was used at the Ford Factory grounds as a utility truck, or something to that effect, that would be a different story.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brett Hankins on Friday, August 12, 2016 - 11:22 am:

hey guys THANK YOU for getting me some of your thoughts, GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! So thats what I was looking for was some real numbers and thoughts from guys who deal in this era vehichles. I agree that being a specialty vehichle its gonna have to have just the right guy see it and want it. But more importantly, hearing that the 10 grand price was indeed too high, helps me out alot. And I actually agree with that. As I said all along I thought it was like 2500 dollar truck, but maybe more. Of course Id love to see it be worth more, but fair is fair and realistic is realistic, so yea I think around 5 grand is just that. again I REALLY appreciate all the input from you guys, it means alot. Ill get more pics put up, and hopefully more chat will continue on it and the right guy may see it. The guy I got it from seems to have found a new interest in it since seeing it runs n drives now and so who knows it may end up back with him. I will be putting up a 1929 Model A speedster Boatail thats got extensive work done to it, and is a brand new build(well its a few years old) and will be trying to sell it for a friend soon. Its a very very cool (race car) model A!! Would there be interest in such a thing you think here? Ill post back later today, thanks again!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, August 12, 2016 - 11:28 am:

For the Model A I would list on Fordbarn or H.A.M.B. and for the most people think about Ebay. You can get to HAMB thru Fordbarn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, August 12, 2016 - 02:01 pm:

Interesting that it was at the Westside & Cherry Valley. Back around 1979 I applied for a job there, but Mr. Bell was already shutting it down. Turns out some employees were really ripping him off, and he just washed his hands of it. A real shame, as it would have preserved a lot of the Westside Lumber Company and its railroad, and provided a lot of tourism income for the area. The Gas Crunch and the economic downturn also didn't help back then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brett Hankins on Friday, August 12, 2016 - 04:29 pm:

thats correct, he lost millions and ran into snags with the count aswell, which was the main cause of him walking away from it all. But yea it was there, and Bell owned it for many years, and he literally LEFT all the vehichles, and everything that was his property and it was all later auctioned off. Sad deal.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration