Broken coil insulation

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Broken coil insulation
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jonathan Delancey on Friday, August 12, 2016 - 06:47 pm:

Took the hogs head off and found this old break on the coil. Car runs great, but could this be a problem? Also is there something I could put on that area for insulation?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jonathan Delancey on Friday, August 12, 2016 - 07:08 pm:

insulation Found this broken insulation on coil. Runs great! Can this be a problem in the future? Also, is there anything I can cover that area with that will act like insulation?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, August 12, 2016 - 07:17 pm:

"Tattle-Tale" sign of attempting to remove the starter motor with the Bendix attached ! Common to find - whether it can cause an issue is open to debate & opinion !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jonathan Delancey on Friday, August 12, 2016 - 07:20 pm:

We removed the Bendix first. Evidently someone before me did not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Friday, August 12, 2016 - 07:32 pm:

Jonathan, I found this same situation several years ago on a engine that lay dormant for years. The engine ran well on mag but I decided this would not be a long term situation so.... I discovered that time and what else had turned the insulation brittle to the point that it would esaely "flake" off. After I removed the coil ring I found that the only thing keeping the individual coil bands from shorting was the compression of the coil rings them selves keeping the insulation in place. The pressure of each coil band kept the brittle insulation in place. How long would that last? It was time to replace or "re-coil" Hope this helps. Just my observation. Keep in mind it is free and that's what it's worth. Jerry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jonathan Delancey on Friday, August 12, 2016 - 07:51 pm:

If i could insulate it with something great, if not I think I will just do the transmission linings and put it back together. I don't have the time or money to have it re-coiled.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, August 12, 2016 - 09:07 pm:

Another opinion regarding attempting to "patch" the insulation: it's nearly impossible to remove the oil residue after soaking in it for near 100 years. Some folks use Brakleen or solvents to give it a bath then spray or brush on Glyptal to try & coat the "bald spot" ! YMMV !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Friday, August 12, 2016 - 09:14 pm:

"Glyptal" is what the insulation was originally coated in. Try and remove as much oil as possible from the damaged area by flowing on a continuous flow of mineral spirits (NOT lacquer thinner). Once the area is clean of oil, the Glyptal should stick to it. Use as much mineral spirits as necessary to get all the oil off. Best to pouring the mineral spirits on instead of using a brush as a brush may dislodge the insulation and you want as much of that to remain as possible to provide protection to the coil. Gently brush on 4 to 6 coats of Glyptal allowing each coat to dry before applying the next coat. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, August 12, 2016 - 10:38 pm:

No, Glyptal was never used by Ford. I think Ford used something akin to shellac or varnish.

Glyptal would work fine on a grease free freshly rewound coil unit. Not so good on an oily old assembly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 12:09 am:

The only way is to replace or rebuild your coil loop. Do not take any short cuts here.

Just my opinion.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 09:57 am:

The only way to safely and permanently fix it is to have the coil re-wound, and if your engine's a fresh rebuild it's the ONLY way, but if this isn't an option for right now, and your car runs well on the mag, examine the area closely and carefully remove any loose insulation. If nothing seems loose, leave it alone. The idea is to preclude any of it coming loose and clogging your oil line. By all means use a transmission screen. The copper appears undamaged in your photo, but the exposed wire means susceptibility to shorts from metallic sediment. It's doubtful that you could get any coating to adhere solidly, which means it's likely to come loose and also endanger your oil line.

Leaving it undisturbed is sort of like discovering a 'possum skeleton in the bottom of your daily-used well. Hasn't caused any trouble yet, so leave it alone; but now you know it's there...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 02:08 pm:

Martynn Vowell took his and Derrick Pang's mag.ring and dabbed on some potting stuff , let it dry and then sprayed on a glyptal varnish.
George n Missourah

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 06:41 pm:

"potting stuff"

What is that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 10:11 pm:

Martynn Vowell found some brush/dab on form of apart. I'll ask him to chime in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 10:26 pm:

I had a like situation. Age and weather had turned the insulation brittle. Insulation compression between the coils is what kept the coils apart. In my case the only long term remedy was to re-coil. Jerry.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration