Cam bearings

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Cam bearings
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Harris on Friday, August 12, 2016 - 08:43 pm:

Are the cam bearing you buy from the vendors ready to install or do they need to be fitted to the cam or block thanks Ross

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Friday, August 12, 2016 - 08:50 pm:

They don't need to be line bored but they may need to be caressed a little. I had to shorten the front bearing a tad and others in the forum have had to round them a bit as they were a touch out of round as received.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, August 12, 2016 - 09:08 pm:

Video on preparation of cam bearings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzaeB1t9U5o&index=11&list=PLYG_lIhIwKyLG8WQm4tGm KK1nA0Yctp6G

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Friday, August 12, 2016 - 09:55 pm:

I had to ream the last two cam bearings I used.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Friday, August 12, 2016 - 11:32 pm:

Something else to be aware of.I have had several instances of the front cam bearing being loose between the outside diameter of the bearing and the I. D. of the hole in the block When you have it assembled, grab the front of the cam and see if there is any shake.since you already know there is no slop between cam and new bearing it is due to the above cause. Nothing more aggravating than having a mystery knock in a fresh engine. '26-7 seem to have this more than earlier blocks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Harris on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 12:41 pm:

Thanks Guys I think my bearing are a little loose in the block so I will have to check the block and the bearings to see what is wore I'm thinking it is likely the bearing ,not likely the block would wear thanks Ross

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 06:43 pm:

Look, It is obvious, no two used camshafts have the same bearing wear. So of course you have to fit bearings to a cam. The new front cam bearings are made longer so you can fit them to your worn cam. Even new cams have slight variations in bearing diameters. The front cam bearing hole in the block sometimes gets worn oversize. A thin shim inserted between the bearing and hole cures this problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 09:43 pm:

I understand Ford recognized the problem that some bearing holes became oversize and offered cam bearings with oversize ODs. I wish that were the case today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, August 16, 2016 - 01:25 am:

My most recent experience with new cam bearings meant both had to be massaged. The front was too long to fit between the boss and the first lobe. I note Glen's post stating they are made that way so they can be custom fitted. It would be nice if the vendors included this information when the bearing is supplied. I had to machine some off each end of the bearing to maintain the correct alignment for the retaining bolt.

Unlike anther centre bearing bought some time back which was .010 undersize on the OD., this one was too tight. I noticed 3 heavy scorings where it had pulled in lathe chuck, most likely caused while being machined. There was a heavy groove one side of one of the white metal keys where the tool had caught. I managed to dress it up to a snug fit, the time taken being less than the long wait to get a replacement.

I still count my blessing at being able to source such parts for restoration work. We T modellers are blessed. But there is still room for the vendors to make improvements'

Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration