Almost twice this week, watch for the idiots.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Almost twice this week, watch for the idiots.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 08:25 am:

We have driven the '14 800 miles since MTFCI tour. We drive this car a lot and are very vigilant any time we are out in it. Even so last week going through a parking lot a guy started backing out of his space without looking as we were going by, stopping with an inch to spare. The second time this idiot runs a stop sign right in front of us. I had to pull hard to the right and nail the breaks, it laid rubber, but stopped. Then he looks at us as if we were wrong as he kept on going. You can't let your guard down anytime.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 08:41 am:

There are idiots out there. Good to hear you weren't hurt.

I'm starting to think it can also be a case of our cars being so out of the ordinary that modern drivers doesn't recognize them as cars and thus don't register them at all - like in the amazing experiment where viewers of a ball game are so concentrated at the game that many of them doesn't see a man in a gorilla suit that walks across..
https://youtu.be/IGQmdoK_ZfY

Maybe painting the T in a bright color against Henry's wishes would help..?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 08:51 am:

I don't know if it has anything to do with the old cars or not. It's certainly more stressful and frustrating when this stuff happens and I'm in my T. But, as far as I can tell people do the same stupid stuff regardless of what I'm driving. It's just usually easier to avoid when I'm in my truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 08:54 am:

I think it has a lot more to do with all the diversions modern cars provide not to mention cell phones and texting. People don't pay attention the way they used to because cars are too easy to drive and the interiors are loaded with unnecessary gadgets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 09:06 am:

I cringe driving a T around in areas where I'm outnumbered by todays cars 100 to one. Our T's don't stop as well or accelerate as fast to move over or get out of the way.
I'm lucky enough to live out in the country around blacktop roads where I can drive without to many guys flying by me at 60-70 mph.

Being careful in a T has all to do with watching the other guy who comes up behind you really fast not realizing most T's are cruising along at 30-40 mph. Those guys will really ruin your day!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 09:12 am:

Part of the problem is that driving our T's, we're not in a hurry. But, the rest of the world is. Like Val says, if they are not distracted by all their technology, they are pressed for time getting from point A to point B. I have often wondered how much of "distraction factor" occurs when someone sees an old car coming down the road. I've had oncoming traffic cross the center line while waving, and slide through stop sign while gawking. I just try to minimize any incidences by staying off the roads during high traffic times, and avoiding them on weekend afternoons when they are the busiest. Other than that, there's not much more I can do besides painting the car a neon color or making it look like a Christmas tree with multiple flashing lights. And I'm not doing that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 09:26 am:

Dan, glad to hear you dodged those two bullets! The world is full of idiots. Even when I get the green light at an intersection, before proceeding I look both ways twice before pushing the pedal. You never know. And yes, parking lots are even worse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 10:06 am:

This stuff happens to my wife all the time and she always turns to me says " why would they do that?" and then proceeds to explain it off to various distractions. My answer is always the same "They just don't give a Damn!" Todays drivers are unbelievably aggressive and were not taught to respect others on the road or in life. 9 times out of 10 it has become just that simple, sad but true.

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 10:24 am:

One of these Model T's will settle any traffic issues that come your way! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 10:26 am:

Whoops!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 10:46 am:

Jay is on the right track, but IMHO the situation out on today's roads requires just a little more:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 12:22 pm:

Dan on the first post,

Just last week we there was an incident where a guy in a PU rand a red light and hit a guy on a bike in a ped lane and sadly killed the guy. I just hope the guy gets a good burn job.
On that same stretch of hiway, kinda a freeway my wife got bumped in her Ford Focus but no ;injuries.
You wonder where there minds are. I have lived in this town since Sept of 56, I have had one moving violation, only been stopped 2 times in 59 years, not that I should have been stopped more often.
Everyone have a great hot day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 01:01 pm:

Bill,
Redding's not the same town it was in '56! For one thing, hwy 99 (pre-I-5)ran right through downtown, and we had to dodge the city Christmas tree every year!! (It was placed right in the center of the road) There are houses, boulevards and traffic lights where there used to be only trees and grasslands!
:-)
Oh, and Sambo's restaurant is gone too!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 03:43 pm:

Sambo's is GONE!?
(I ate there many years ago.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 04:34 pm:

I have started driving my model T in my neighborhood about 3 miles around the whole subdivision. Most times when I get on the main roads I stay on the 20 -35 mph back roads near my house just to stay away from the modern cars and texting, cell phone talking crowd.
Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 07:39 pm:

Wayne, I miss the "Tiger Butter".
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 08:09 pm:

Grocery store parking lots are THE worst.
I cringe when in our ":new" car in those lots.
You can backing out to leave and shoppers will NOT STOP.......they keep on walking behind a MOVING car.
I swear many grocery shoppers think "I'll leave my brain, manners and common sense at home. I won't need them at the grocery store".
(*&^%%^!@#$%^&*()(*^*()*&^%$#%^&&^ and then some!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 04:17 am:

You should be careful wishing harsh penalties on drivers. Who among us has never inadvertently run a stop sign or red light? I know I have. Thankfully, I didn't hit anyone. I'd sure hate to think I would have to lose everything I own or go to prison for making a simple mistake. I can see it in cases of dui or when someone chooses to drive twice the speed limit, but for someone who is otherwise driving normally, and just fails to see a stop sign in time, I don't think harsh penalties are in order. Think about it. That could be you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 08:31 am:

I drive my T in city traffic every day here in Rochester NY. Back in 2001 I was cut off in traffic and had to choose between oncoming cars and making a hard left ... and flipped it over.

Since then I am very careful at intersections and people coming out of drive ways and side streets. Anytime someone offers to let me go in front of them I just shake my head until they go first. I trust no one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 08:50 am:

The ones that really put me over the edge are the jaywalking deer. They should know those deer crossing signs are put where they are for a reason. But yet, nearly every day I see deer crossing somewhere without a deer crossing sign. Oh, and another one is the vagrant raccoons that sleep in the middle of the road. What the heck is up with that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 09:03 am:

I have a sign on the back of my T that I hang there when I have to drive busy roads,it says: I'm peddling as fast as I can! I got that sign after I was going down the road at a comfortable 38 MPH in a 45 MPH zone this guy comes up behind me flashing his lights, honking his horn he continued this for about a mile then when he realized I would not go any faster he whipped out from behind me got in front and then slowed down????? Oh well!:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 11:26 am:

And the SCARIEST part about all of these drivers with suspect abilities and judgement: THEY VOTE. After they pass you note their bumper stickers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 11:36 am:

Bill,

The fact that they vote is only half of the scariest part. They also reproduce and a whole new generation learns their ways.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 11:47 am:

Yes Henry, that too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 12:21 pm:

I agree sometimes you can just be caught by a red light and I have no problem with the first guy in line but when he is followed by 3-5 others, it's like I said before "They just don't give a damn" and you are in their way. I see this multiple time a week.

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 01:26 pm:

I commute 30 miles each way every day.
Five miles city, 10 miles winding back road and 15 miles freeway.
I see people trying to move over a lane or two but refuse to use their directional signals, I see people with all or no stop lights, I see people with high beam headlights on, I see people for no apparent reason driving along at half the speed limit, and I see people going through stop signs and red lights without even slowing down, some not even looking to the sides.
Drugs. Too many people using all kinds of drugs.
Prscription and otherwise.
I notice a lotta of folks come in at work before 9AM with booze on their breath.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 02:43 pm:

Would a little vigilante justice be a bit too extreme for these dirty varmints? Somebody get a rope! :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration