Sprung transmission bands

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Sprung transmission bands
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jonathan Delancey on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 10:47 am:

Removed the bands yesterday and the opening between the ears is about 8". When I squeeze the bands to where the ears will be after install. they are still round. Do I have to close up that gap before install or will it matter. If I do have to close, how??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 11:27 am:

If you have a spare small brake drum from a rear wheel, clamp it in a vice. Put the band around it.hold the band ears together tight with one hand and tap all around the band with a light ball pen hammer. A loose trans drum will obviously work too, but seems like wheel drums are usually found laying loose more often. There is a difference in size between the wheel drum and trans drum, but this had worked for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 12:35 pm:

I forgot to add, IMHO, about four inches is what I like the gap at. Opinions will vary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 01:09 pm:

I`ve never much worried about "round" bands--once installed, they easily take the correct shape around the drums...I`d say you`re good to go with those bands, Jonathon----Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jonathan Delancey on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 01:25 pm:

Should the lining be soaked in oil before I put them on the bands or can I rivet them then soak.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 01:30 pm:

Personally, I would rivet them before soaking (unless you like working with a dripping, slippery mess). :-)

Video on transmission bands:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGp2qw_kiwU&list=PLYG_lIhIwKyLG8WQm4tGmKK1nA0Yct p6G&index=28

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 03:04 pm:

For the love of god, do not soak them first. A slippery mess is an understatement. Besides, soaking them after they are excited on makes them swell up around the rivets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 03:15 pm:

And, Paul, you may well be right that the bands are okay as are. But what always concerns me, is that when they are spread apart like that, is it can make it tougher to get the washer on and the nut started. Round bands mean good even engagement. And in my experience, they do not round themselves out with use. This is why the factory took so long to make quick change bands standard equipment. They felt a better job of installing refined bands can be done by removing the hogshead, as do I.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 03:17 pm:

Damn sPELLCheck. RIVETED on, not excited on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 05:13 pm:

I`m not a "contrairian" but besides not worrying much about "roundness" I also NEVER oil soak the bands before installation---they get PLENTY of oil once you run the engine. I`ve never had to redo new bands, once in service. I`d say round them and soak them only if it makes you feel better.I only remove the hogs head to install wooden bands. Been using Kevlar on most cars....Good luck---paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jonathan Delancey on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 03:31 pm:

Silly question(I think)Do I size the band to 7.5" with or without the new lining??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 06:43 pm:

Re-shape the empty metal band prior to install of lining.

Use an old drum, works well. Get out any twist from the band, (check on flat surface); then shape over the drum with mallet to get the roundness. The ones in the photo below are before shaping, you can see how stretched out they are, the band on the right is almost egg-shaped.

You want to get the outer ends of the ears about 4" or so apart when done shaping before you rivet on the new dry linings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 06:50 pm:

The last photo in the post above was the bands hanging from the garage rafter, that's why the odd photo :-)

Store extra bands ready for new linings up in the rafters.....the one in the foreground needs it's shaping though.

Types of demountable ears on the Ford bands too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 07:32 pm:

I do soak my linings before riveting in automatic transmission fluid. That's what the instructions for my Mark Automotive linings said to do back when I first had my T. Once I tried without and it the rivet wouldn't go in easily.
I can't be doing it wrong because I get 6-8 year band life from cotton linings, even the modern Scandinavians that seem to have a bad reputation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Peterson on Tuesday, August 16, 2016 - 04:32 pm:

Hi, The double hinged bands are the best ones to use. They come out and go back in very easy. They do not get bent. Thanks, Bob.pixpixpixpix

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration