1914 Ambulance

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1914 Ambulance
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By D. R. Currier on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 04:37 pm:

Slip on delivery body fitted to a 14 cut off Touring.. This is the 2nd body I have done for this collector.. He completed a beautiful restoration... visit us at www.everettcurrierfarm.com.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 05:43 pm:

Very nice, but I think it looks more like a hearse than an ambo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 08:30 pm:

Well considering how extreme the injuries might be-it could be -either/or.

Nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 08:31 pm:

Very nice Model T.

Frank, it starts out as an ambulance but it is so slow it becomes a hearse half way to the hospital! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By D. R. Currier on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 08:38 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 09:31 pm:

When my father had a heart attack in the fifties, there was no ambulance service and the "undertaker" brought the hearse to the house to take him to the hospital ALIVE. He survived.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 12:06 am:

Before ambulance services became widely available I think many hearses doubled as ambulances.
They had window inserts with red crosses on them.......probably more to prevent scaring people to death........ LOL
I clearly recall a local funeral home who used their hearse as an ambulance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 11:28 am:

100 years ago, an ambulance was not a car, it was a hospital. The ambulance was designed to be set up close to a battle so the wounded who could walk (ambulatory) could bring them selves to the hospital. During the Franco Prussian war in the 187s, a group of Americans set up an ambulance to treat soldiers. After the war, they moved the hospital to permanent quarters in Paris but retained the name "American Ambulance". When WWI broke out in 1914, the American Ambulance was one of the first hospitals to use automobiles to transport wounded. The American Field Service was the division of the American Ambulance that ran the cars. All cars had the name of the hospital on them and when cars with "American Ambulance" appeared in photos in the newspapers, people started calling the cars "ambulances."

It is interesting that the modern ambulance has evolved into the original definition of the word by becoming a portable hospital that can be moved to where the wounded are.

The American Field Service still is in existence as a student exchange program (one of the few that are respectable)as they got experience in recruiting students during the war to drive the cars.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration