Worford transmission

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Worford transmission
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe raab on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 06:38 pm:

Does anybody have the top section shifter for a Worford transmission? Maybe someone has a Worford with a broken case and they have the top shifter. Mine is all froze up and it won't shift.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 07:00 pm:

Joe. You can disassemble it and carefully dress down any burrs or sharp edges and it will operate again unless the bores of the shifting pins are out of round. Then put some good expensive grease on everything and use it.

Is it a two speed or a three speed and is it cast iron or aluminum? Is it for a passenger car or a TT truck?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 07:03 pm:

I agree with what Fast Frank said. You should be able to get it freed up and be able to salvage it.

Waiting to find out which one you have

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe raab on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 09:56 pm:

The transmission is aluminum but I don't know if it's a 2-speed or a 3-speed as I've never had a worford before. It came in a TT truck that must have set out in the weather for a long time because the gear shift handle is rusted thin right where it connects to the transmission. I got the pins loose. There's ball bearings and springs that press against the side of the pins and they're rusted tight and that's what is stopping the pins from sliding. I drove the pins back and knocked those bearings and springs out with a drift pin. I could get new bearings and springs but would rather have a new top. Does anyone sell parts for a Worford? Right now with no springs or bearings it's very sloppy. Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 11:16 pm:

I think the "bearing you are thinking about is a steel ball that rolls into the dedent of the shifter rod? You can get these at any local supply house or a HD store. Sounds like your almost there if you have the top off and you can remove the shifter rods and free everything up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 10:45 am:

i have an extra top, post a pic of what you got and i'll see if mine is the same. there are a few different ones made.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 11:38 am:

If it has one round rod that slides front to back in the shift cover, it is a 2 speed. 2 sliding rods side by side makes it a 3 speed. Far and away most are 3 speed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Elliott on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 02:46 pm:

Your transmission can be saved. My son and I have a warford the was froze up and with a little work and new bearing that can be purchased, it will look as good as new. Tom & Scott Elliott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe raab on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 06:07 pm:

Clayton - Here are some pictures of what I have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 06:16 pm:

3 speed aluminum case.
Probably easier to just weld up the rusty area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 07:15 pm:

the cover i'm thinking about has the shift handle coming out of the end, not center like yours, and was off a cast iron case. not sure, do they interchange?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 08:01 pm:

That looks good...just weld up the rusted out part and it is saved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff cordes on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 10:30 pm:

I've rebuilt far worse than that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Rogahn - Davisburg, MI on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 10:46 pm:

Clayton, yes they interchange.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 12:23 am:

You're in luck! ya do as John and layden suggests and weld up the shifter and WaLa ready for the road!

Piece of Cake Good Luck let us know how it works

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 11:36 am:

joe raab - Here are some pictures of what I have.
its cast iron one but i think u can use the chifter im not ever using this prts ,i have Coupe
larry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 12:27 pm:

Boy someone could sure use those parts. They all look pretty darn good. I've heard that you can get that small cone bearing now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe raab on Tuesday, August 16, 2016 - 12:37 pm:

Lorenzo - I think that shifter will work. What do you want for it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe raab on Tuesday, August 16, 2016 - 12:44 pm:

I got those bearings and springs out and I bought new ones at the hardware store and got it working. I have a brace that came with this truck but there is an extra Chicago transmission that also came with the truck and I think this brace belongs to it because I see no way for it to hook to the Worford or even fit the TT frame. Are you guys using braces under your worfords? If so, could someone send me a picture so I can see what it looks like and how it hooks up?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, August 16, 2016 - 12:50 pm:

Original Warford truck install sketch for a Warford brace.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, August 16, 2016 - 12:53 pm:

Rusty original Warford brace.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Wednesday, August 17, 2016 - 08:08 am:

The brace you have is the same as I have and it fits a Chicago.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration