Glyptal

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Glyptal
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 06:50 pm:

Anyone know the shelf life of Glyptal 1201? I have a barely used quart of it 8 years old. Got ready to paint the mag coil frame and read on a blog that it has a 2 year shelf life. Nothing about shelf life on the can, nothing on the mfrs website or any other place I look. Have a call in to the mfr, but its Saturday and the soonest they will respond is Monday. I'd like to paint the coil frame this weekend if I can, so I need to know if the can I have is still good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 08:50 pm:

The manufacturer wants you to throw it away and buy more every 2 years. My experience is that a can of Glyptal is good for 20 years if you keep it sealed when not in use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 08:58 pm:

I have used some that is 15 to 20 years old and it worked fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 09:56 pm:

Thank you!!!
I can now proceed as planned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 10:01 pm:

I swear when I first read this , I thought it was about Geritol.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 10:06 pm:

Well with Geritol the user has a shelf life to!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 10:43 pm:

hahaha..but for 20 Years??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Chillingworth on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 12:09 pm:

After having the paint can open to the air, I squirt some wine preserver into it as I cap the lid. This helps keep the paint from solidifying, especially for the one-part air curing paints like Glyptal or POR 15.

Rich C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 12:15 pm:

Richard, if is has not set up in the can you're good to go. When you close it back up, place a piece of plastic bag between the can and lid. It will seal better and be much easier to open next time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 10:09 pm:

Thanks for the helpful tips.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 10:16 pm:

Yes!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration