Jump starting

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Jump starting
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 05:27 am:

What would happen if you tried to start a 6 volt model t with one of them 12 volt jump starters. With the 6 volt battery still hooked up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 09:07 am:

I don't know whether that's OK, but if your battery is down too far to run the starter it may have enough juice left to buzz the coils. Then you should be able to hand start easily.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 10:15 am:

It has been done, however I would worry more about the starter and generator and the lights when using such a device. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 10:19 am:

Best to jump start directly to the starter, make sure hand brake is set and wheels are scotched. Engine will start to turn over as soon as voltage is applied to the starter, best to put positive to starter then touch negative to ground. There is always a chance of blowing up a six volt battery so I always disconnect it. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 11:35 am:

I was told decades ago to Never disconnect a battery from a running engine as it would destroy the generator.

I understand that a non running engine is being jump started, but how long would it take to ruin the generator before the battery could be reconnected?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 12:44 pm:

No need to disconnect a 6v battery when jump starting with a 12v - just don't turn the light on or press the brake if you have a brake light while the 12v is connected. Usually you only need to connect it for a few seconds while the electric starter is running. Don't connect the last jumper cable close to any of the batteries, especially the 6v one - you may blow up a battery that's being charged if not careful when connecting cables.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 12:45 pm:

If the battery has a little juice you should be able to crank start the engine with the coils on battery and let the generator charge the battery up.

Stephen

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration