One of the benefits of driving a T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: One of the benefits of driving a T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 09:17 am:

This spring and summer most of my trips to town for shopping and errands have been by Model T. One of the things I enjoy about it is when guys in their eighties and nineties tell me their stories about when they were kids and Dad or Grandpa drove a Model T. Some of the tales are priceless.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 09:30 am:

I'm a new T caretaker. First time I e been more than a mile from home was yesterday. Drove about ten miles to neighboring town to steam and gas show in my roadster pickup. There were two model A doodle bugs there but mine was the only T. I didn't have to make mine look old or put rubber rats on the fender. The burlap feed sack covering the seat and weathered wood in the bed and a few strategic rust spots was all it took to draw a crowd. I can post pics on this site but she's a peach. I love hearing the old timers stories also. I drove it to town for breakfast this morning and everyone followed me out to see it run when I left. I've discovered you don't get in a hurry when you go somewhere in a T because they are slow and everyone wants to know how it works , what all the pedals and levers do.
What fun it is to slow life down !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 09:32 am:

Can't post pictures!
Sorry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 09:37 am:

Agreed. Where we lived, in the South Carolina midlands we had nice enough weather year round to use the T for errands, going to dinner, etc. Getting stopped for pictures was the norm and getting gas was always a 20 minute affair. It was great fun and stories heard, priceless.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 09:52 am:

I like driving the T around to garage sales... Same old baby clothes and junk at every sale, but have had people bring some nice things out of the basement to show to the guy who shows up in a Model T. :-) I have also been invited to look around in the shed out back, and found some really good stuff that wasn't even on the sale.

My best example was a 1940 Wayne Model 70 gas pump!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 10:02 am:

I drove down to Trout Creek for the Huckelberry Festival in my 27 roadster. This old guy came up and told me how he grew up on a road near the River Rouge Plant. He remembered the old chain drive trucks going by his house every 20 minutes hauling coke to the steel mill day and night. Meeting folks like that are a enjoyable part of running around in a T. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 10:17 am:

Gary I know what you mean about the "20 minute gas affair"...and I think you might be conservative! I refer to gassing up as the "one-car car show". Pretty cool how people pile out of their moderns to run over to see my T. Even cooler than that is when the young employees literally come running out of the convenience store part of the station to see it and ask questions. Not sure who's tending the register! Happens almost every time. Much fun!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 10:40 am:

Tim that is true. The girls at register wanted to go for a ride this morning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 02:31 pm:

It really is fun alright, but sometimes, it can also be somewhat embarrassing! Like on one of our club's "old folks home tours", one of our guys was told by a sweet little old lady,......"you know, I got my first sex in the back seat of a car just like yours"! Whaddya' say to a comment like that,....right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 02:56 pm:

Harold, you look her straight in the eye and say, "I know!" :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 05:03 pm:

Steve I just hope when I get my T on the road I hear those same stories.
And Harold, a gallon of gas $2.00
a steak dinner $24.00
a little old lady telling you she had sex in a Model T..........priceless

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 05:08 pm:

Doug,
I'm thinking that as well..."when I get my T on the road"
That put a smile on my face! Made my day! Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 06:09 pm:

Harold, I've ben told that also. "You know, Sonny, I lost my virginity in the back seat of one of these....of course, I was a bit more limber back then you know...."

Ya, some things are priceless....

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 08:33 pm:

sounds to me like she was hitting on you Keith?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 09:39 pm:

Only 3 times I have driven the Speedster around the neighborhood. Would be more but I have a starter problem now!
Anyways, driving this car is like being in a parade. People wave at you and give you the thumbs up and want you to stop and they take pictures.
Little do they know ,It's a tight fight in there and I'm not stopping for anyone but ol'Henry Ford.
Hope they don't think I'm stuck up!??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Benedict - Calgary, Alberta on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 09:44 pm:

One of our members, who uses his 26 touring to collect his mail in town, over heard a youngster say to his mum . . "Why doesn't he just but a new one, mum?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 09:46 pm:

hahahaha...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard C. Sullivan on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 09:47 pm:

It's amazing when you blow the horn on an old car you get thumbs up, but blow your horn at someone when driving a modern car, they give you the finger,,,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 10:08 pm:

Bud, ya, sure...

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 10:17 pm:

Howard...that's funny as heck!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke----central TX. on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 01:23 am:

It's funny when you're on a test drive, T half apart, and people are just smiling and waving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 02:12 am:

A couple of funny stories I have about driving my model T's. Once I stopped at a gas station in my rusty TT dump truck with a load of trash on the way to the dump. This guy asks me, "What are you doing?" I said, "Going to the dump." Without missing a beat he asks me, "Who's giving you a ride home?" Another time I took my roadster pickup to a local hardware store to buy an axe handle. After I rolled up to the store, idled my flivver down and shut it off I walked inside and asked where I may find them. The young associate asked me what kind of car I was driving. An old man who was sorting hardware with him said "Son, that's a model T Ford". He had never looked up from his work and looked out the door. I bought the axe handle and the old timer never even looked out the door at my model T. He knew exactly what he had heard and was in no hurry to revive a relationship with model,T's. My great uncle was the same way. He grew up on a farm in Virginia. He and his brother had to milk six cows and start the model T. The brother milking the cows ways always done first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 08:53 am:

"Who's giving you a ride home?" - Ouch! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 11:43 am:

Tomorrow night the Wife and I will be driving the RPU to the beach for a city sponsored cruise-in. Think I will take my camera :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration