Model A wheels on a T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Model A wheels on a T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 02:09 pm:

I need to take this all apart and check out how they did this but this T chassis I bought has Model A wheels. It was done long ago and there aren't any fancy adapters. I used the motor on another car but I drug it out of the weeds this morning am thinking about building a speedster. Here are some pics of the front wheels, 3 1/4" bolt pattern 2 nuts hold the hub on and has Model A bearings

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 05:16 pm:

Corey, is that rusty one a model AR wheel? They have a smaller hub. They were for the first A's that did not have the stepped rear drum for the parking brake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 05:30 pm:

I don't know. I don't know anything about Model A's. The drums aren't stepped though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 05:57 pm:

The hub of the wheel is smaller.the later wheels have a bigger center to clear the later A rear drums.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black SC/FL on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 10:50 pm:

I have 3 T's that were "adapted" to run Model A wheels by the same old guy years ago. I asked him how he found so many "AR" wheels. ANSWER: steady hand with a grinder!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 07:14 pm:

Corey,

It is very easy to put the Model A Ford wheels on the front of a Model T Ford. Just install the Model A Hub and bearings (they fit fine). And as shown in your the photo make arrangements to “lock” the front wheel nut once the bearings are adjusted. In your photo they jammed the first nut with a second front wheel nut. But you could also drill a new cotter pin hole in the spindle in the correct place. If you want to install the Model A hub cap on the wheel you need to do something because the Model T spindle is quite a bit longer than the Model A spindle. You could shorten the T spindle, put good size hole in the hub cap or even attach the hub cap to the spindle between the two nuts and don’t allow the hub cap to touch the wheel. Note the Model A brake drum can be turned down if needed to clear things.

From your photos above you have a Model A hub mounted to the Model T spindle. For a look at the Model A front hubs go to: http://www.mikes-afordable.com/category/1073.html.

By the way the bolt patter is actually a 5 ˝ inch on the 5 lug Model A wheels for all Model A car wheels. From the first 1928 AR style to the normal later 1928-1928 style to the 1931 style. See the page at: http://www.randpcarriages.com/tech/axlechart.html for how to measure the bolt pattern size. The hub bolt pattern is 5 inches on the 1926-27 Model T wire spoke wheels. See: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/137012.html
For a comparison of the Model A and Model T wheels. It also has a photo of the AR Model A wheel which look very similar to the standard Model A wheel.

And below is an illustration from the Model A Ford Service bulletins on the difference between the 1928 AR wheel and the later 1928-29 wheel that became standard.

Mike you could turn down either brake drum and it wouldn't matter if you used an AR or a later hub. For the light loads on a Model T they seem to work fine.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration