Channel Green

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Channel Green
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Perigo - Linton, IN on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 04:54 pm:

What is the formula for channel green?

Thanks.
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 05:28 pm:

In truth, no one seems to exactly know. There's a formula the MTFCI claims is correct for judging a car's authenticity. But I'm not sure there was one Deep Channel green paint for the Improved cars. I've seen survivors that were painted this bland color of (what I can best describe) as an khaki olive. The I've seen survivors where traces of the original paint under the dash look so dark its almost black. But when you get the flashlight at the right angle it looks a to be really deep dark green.So I'm really not sure what is true "Deep channel Green" or not. I suspect many of the vendors Ford contracted for paint had their own recipes and that there was variance in the color and the stability of that color over time. So paint it whatever color of green you want. Its pretty hard to claim its not correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Perigo - Linton, IN on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 05:37 pm:

Thanks, Kevin! I've seen that khaki green. I think I'll go with the Model A commercial color...Rock Moss Green.

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 06:34 pm:

This will not be much help but, It reminds me of the 'theory' of another 'Green' The Pennsylvania Railroad used what was called Brunswick Green on locomotives. It was so dark, most folks took it to be black. Only if it was compared to actual black, could you tell the difference! The common question among modelers has been, what is the formula? The answer is, take a 55 gallon of black and add 1 gallon of green! Go figure!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 07:22 pm:

I applaud and much prefer an effort to paint a car something close to a correct original color. I have seen many shades of green on improved model Ts that I thought looked very good on them. And I have seen some greens that I thought looked terrible. I also have seen several improved model Ts with good original green paint showing (sometimes the whole car, sometimes just hidden areas), and for whatever the original formula reasons, they are NOT all alike after fifty or ninety years. I do think model A commercial green should look good.
Good luck and have fun!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 07:27 pm:

I have a '13 roadster that was green in all the wrong places. I'm working on the frame now, which will be sandblasted this week, and that will be the end of the green. It will be black shortly as it should be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 08:15 pm:

Even if you found a Model T with the original 90 year old Channel Green, it would probably be so dark and dull it would be impossible to tell what the original color actually looked like. Since a color is supposed to be attractive and cause the potential customer to want to purchase the car, it makes me wonder why Ford would choose some of the dull green colors some say is the original Channel Green. Instead, I'd like to think that Ford would have chosen a nice bright green color that is appealing to the eye. I know that if I spend 2 years restoring a car, I'm not going to paint it an unattractive drab green no matter who says it is what the original Channel green looked like. Instead, I'm going to paint it a green color I like in the hopes that the experts are wrong and that the green I like is closer, in color to the original Channel Green than the Channel green the so called experts say is the original. Jim Patrick

Here is a green I think is appealing and would like to think is what Channel Green may have looked like when first applied.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 08:21 pm:

Great input as usual Larry. Good job

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 08:26 pm:

Jim, that is pretty close to the original Deep Channel Green, just a little lighter that's all...or it could just be the shine. Anyways they look nice. I have seen some period advertisements that have color stable pigments and the Channel Green in them is darn close to those cars. I have a '26 Tudor project that I am going to try and match the paint to those old car ads when the time comes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 08:28 pm:

What color was/is the 15,000 000 car?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 10:24 pm:

My painter come up with GTO Green when we painted my 1926 which was originally "deep channel green" He matched some of the hidden original paint and I'm very happy with the outcome that Ian achieved. Some say it's British Racing Green but when you put them side by side it's nothing like it. The only downside to this is it's a GM colour but keep it quiet!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration