More Cotter Pins?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: More Cotter Pins?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 07:13 pm:

I thought I'd share this with the show car folks. This week I had the pleasure of removing cotter pins that were installed 30 years before I was born. Kind of a funny feeling removing a part that has been in the same location for 103 years.
What I'm leading up to is those assembly guys didn't care one bit about how nice the cotter pin looked, or the direction it was inserted. They got them in, and that was it. On two of the ones I observed smashed heads, and on others they just pounded them over without splitting them. So, why worry? I'm certain that anything we do today will be an improvement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Griffin in Brea, CA on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 11:15 pm:

Brass or steel?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 11:59 pm:

I guess for me it's more a matter pride. Kinda like when I paint my house, I tend not sling it on with with a stir stick...just to get it on the siding. Looks like Ford hired a real Delbert for that job. Good thing he didn't take it upon himself to tighten the spark plugs with that hammer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 09:39 am:

Greg, I can't believe you would ask such a question! Of course they were steel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 09:46 am:

Its another instance that T's are restored noticeably better than the days there were rolling off Ford assembly lines.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 11:36 am:

Larry,

Maybe Greg was asking whether the car you removed the cotter pins from was a brass or steel radiator car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 01:35 pm:

I just looked and i have at least 6 brass one's on our 14.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 02:47 pm:

So... who's been hiding all the brass cotter pins?
I've been around a lot of antiques, I don't believe I've ever seen one! Is there a chance there's brass plated steel ones? Just for the "pretty"? Being that there is of course 'hard brass' versus 'soft brass' I can't help but wonder of the sheer strength compared to steel. Anybody?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 06:25 pm:

Larry, I just took the firewall brackets off the 25 touring to weld up a couple of cracks and all of the cotter pins had the legs bent together over the end of the bolt. That's how a lot of the bolts on the coupe were too. It would interesting to know if Ford had any preferred method or if the individual assemblers put the pins in however they wanted.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 07:36 pm:

As I have always understood it, there were two industry standards for installing cotter pins. The "railroad" method which the pin goes in and each side of the pin is spread around the fastener. The aviation method bends the tang over the top of the bolt and the other exits the nut and bends down. In aviation, the railroad method is acceptable as the alternate.

The farm boy method is basically anyway that stops the nut from coming off. Nails are acceptable for this method and to be honest, I have never seen a nail fail. This method makes the best sense.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration