Spray Chrome finish . . THOUGHTS??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Spray Chrome finish . . THOUGHTS??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Benedict - Calgary, Alberta on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 09:38 pm:

Looking at a number of early light pieces that are not brass, but I want them to be brass. Have seen the liquid chrome coating method. Have been told I can have a brass colour. Does anyone have any history on this product. I thought I'd heard that you wouldn't want to get moisture under it via rock chips, etc. Thoughts??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 10:44 pm:

Luck with that. Hope it works out very well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 10:59 pm:

I know money doesn't grow on trees, but have you considered conventional brass plating. Why a "Spray" finish?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 11:33 pm:

Why not?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Benedict - Calgary, Alberta on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 12:39 am:

Considering brass plating, but why not explore the options . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 09:54 am:

You can make a 'fake' brass finish, holds up like any painted surface.

Did that for faux '09 runabout, 'paint plated' the steel levers and steel floorboard plates. Use gold spray paint, and covered that with semi-gloss clear. Fake look but....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 10:11 am:

Simply varnish chrome or nickel plated parts, Brass plating comes off if you polish it. Varnish looks like brass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 12:53 pm:

As to the chrome: I've seen it done on TV. There seems to be some problem with it lasting. Saw it used on 2 different items them it disappeared & not heard of since. (maybe a year ago).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 01:24 pm:

Three that I've researched.... Have heard that 'durability' is similar to paint. Spectrachrome seems the best, but haven't been able to find anyone using it, other than the manufacturer's hype.

http://youtu.be/4TDtUHo5cSE
http://www.nbc.com/jay-lenos-garage/video/spray-on-chrome/n35122
http://www.spectrachrome.com/buyersguide

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 01:29 pm:

On Counting Cars, the raghead in Las Vegas show, he paid a ton of money of the special equiptment to spray on this fake chrome and thre was some trail and erro and had to buy all new supplies again. And, yes, no follow up since the show on the durablility.
I've used it on other vehicles, but am still prepping my parts for my WWI military Model T project, but plan on using a wide variety of metallic spray paints found in the craft store, not the big box home improvemnt stores.
Iron or nickle for bolts heads, chrome for light lenses, and brass for some smaller parts or maybe a spotlight that or horn that I am using as an accessory. Since my creation will be military, highly polished brass is not a priority. Tarnished brass is more the look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 01:44 pm:

It would not be difficult at all to lay out $10K for the Spectrachrome equipment and initial supplies. When inquiring if there was 'anyone in the region?' using their set-up, they couldn't provide an answer. Eastman has a product they say is "91% chrome equivalent".... Smooth (wet-sand) surface preparation in black seems to be a standard requisite.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 07:34 pm:

Hello Ross Benedict!!
Have you decided what your going to do?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Benedict - Calgary, Alberta on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 09:55 pm:

Not yet, going to price out both and take all under advisement. Would prefer to do Nickel plate and thin gold coverage. We'll see. Certainly note going into business from UK!! LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 11:42 pm:

Learn something new everyday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, August 16, 2016 - 12:23 pm:

I've bought 'chrome' spray paint on numerous occasions, always hoping that since this one was expensive and it's been several years since I tried it and....maybe they've finally got it where it looks like the cap........Nope, always looks like silver spray paint when I get through.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Tuesday, August 16, 2016 - 01:30 pm:

Eastman and ALSA both identify to needing a smooth and wet-sanded black base, then the very light multiple applications of 'chrome' spray. (It still seems to come out looking like aluminum or silver paint.) "You have to learn the technique".... is what they tell you. Which makes one question the actual truth behind any of them. Ever wonder "How?" they get the finish on those chrome rattle-can covers??? Even the plastic model car kits of the 50's & 60's would reveal evidence of sprayed on 'chrome', but nobody seems willing to expose the 'How'. Maybe there is a Forum participant with an insight...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Tuesday, August 16, 2016 - 08:09 pm:

Marv Kondrad...Thanks for enlightening me
I never thought of that and I should of.

Thanks!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration