Shocking Occurance

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Shocking Occurance
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 08:31 am:

Driving my 14 Saturday on mag and when I turned the car off, I got a shock from the brass plate on the ignition switch!! I have rebuilt coils from Brent Mize and I installed the Fun Projects plastic interior in the coil box. What would cause this? Is there something wrong?

Thanks.


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 08:49 am:

When you rebuilt the coil box did you rebuild or go through the ignition switch?


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 09:17 am:

Seth, I rebuilt the coil box and the switch. About 3 years ago.


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 09:26 am:

Check the wires on your timer, make sure they are not hitting timing cover, Bob


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 09:48 am:

If you got a shock, (and it wasn't somehow static electricity), it's higher voltage than the battery or mag. IE: plug voltage.


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 11:16 am:

Im with Robert, You must have a bare wire touching the block or frame somewhere.


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 06:47 pm:

Ground the coil box.

Your wood firewall is currently providing isolation and you provided the ground. If there is really something wrong with the wiring, then something will start missing or stop working after you put a ground wire from the box to the frame.

My '41 Ford gave me a similar shock when I beeped to get my wife's attention. I am guessing the chrome horn button picked up a jolt from the horn relay and I felt it because I was sweating.


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 07:08 pm:

For years I chased a miss in a 16 only when I turned the steering one way, on a rare time that I drove it at night I found part of the problem, on turning the steering the speedo cable would touch the coil box and spark would jump. Never did find any problem in the box or switch.


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Tuesday, August 16, 2016 - 07:12 am:

Thanks, guys.

I'll check out your suggestions.


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Tuesday, August 16, 2016 - 02:42 pm:

One of your coils might have leakage similar to what most often occurs across the wood of your coil box and that would be providing a leakage path from the spark voltage to either the timer connection or the bottom magneto connection but usually it happens when there is a marginal connection at the timer wiring or bottom strip wiring which includes the switch itself. The front panel of the switch is fastened to the switch bakelite portion via threaded inserts but if they are cracked they might also then allow a path of leakage to one of the screws. It could be something as simple as one of the switch wires touching the front brass plate of the switch.

In a dark garage you can make up a ground wire that is fastened to the engine block and hold it by the insulation but with its other end near to surfaces to see if you see an arc from things like the front plate to that ground. Use that wire as a "sniffer" to find which surface or connection produces the hottest spark. If it is coming from a coil then swap out that coil and check the switch brass plate again after that. A small neon bulb with one end grounded to that wire and the other end acting like a probe will show you when there is voltage present on a surface.


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, August 16, 2016 - 10:27 pm:

Speaking of a " Shocking Occurrence". :-)


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Wednesday, August 17, 2016 - 12:29 pm:

Been there, done that. Don't have the tee shirt though.


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Wednesday, August 17, 2016 - 05:10 pm:

Jay, you never looked so good!!!


Add a Message


This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration