Squaring a frame

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Squaring a frame
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George N. Lemperes on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 02:03 pm:

I am beginning to restore my 1909 Touring. The car has the wrong frame under it right now. I purchased the correct frame for it and when I checked it out I found it to be about 5/16" out of square. The "new" frame was used as a hay wagon and the front crossmember was loose on the passenger side. I removed the crossmember with the intent of re-riveting it back on. Can I cross clamp the frame pulling it square and then re-rivet the front crossmember in place? Any suggestions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 04:47 pm:

Check and make sure the frame is not sagged before you call it "Done". It should be easy to pull it square....try a Come-a-long. You will need to pull it further than what it needs to be as it will "Spring" back. Do not try and do it all in one pull....it normally takes several pulls to get it square.
I have tie downs in my shop concrete floor and have corrected numerous bent car frames.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George N. Lemperes on Tuesday, August 16, 2016 - 06:44 pm:

How much of a crown should there be in the side rails?
I've heard about a 1/2".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, August 16, 2016 - 06:51 pm:

The upper flanges were completely flat originally. A 1909 body is fairly light, so it shouldn't sag much in service.

Here's John Regan's frame drawing that's correct for 1909-13, but works up through 1925:
http://www.funprojects.com/pdf/FPIframe.pdf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, August 17, 2016 - 08:50 am:

The frame should be straight along the top edge, as Roger said. Most frames today have some sag where the crankcase ears rest on them, so they need to be straightened. I've never heard of intentionally adding a crown to the frame rails.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Wednesday, August 17, 2016 - 09:04 pm:

George, I think a slight crown is better than a slight sag.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration