Tool for stamping block numbers, Metal Stamps, help

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Tool for stamping block numbers, Metal Stamps, help
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 04:24 pm:

Of those who have, where did you get your stamps? What size letters/numbers? Harbor Freight have them but have been told the stamps are to soft. I have checked with Snap-on, Mac, and a couple other tool trucks but they don't normally stock them.
I have several blocks I need to stamp so I can register for title.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 05:37 pm:

Does your state require the block be stamped? In Indiana, we make a separate plate and mount on frame or firewall. Plate usually made of brass, so soft. Easier than changing numbers on block. Also I do not believe we can get a title for just an engine.Been long time since I did it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 06:10 pm:

Jim, I checked with Kansas and you may well be correct. What will tell the truth will be when I take my bill of sales to the state. You just never know for sure until then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 06:10 pm:

Used the Harbor Freight Pittsburgh set to stamp a block to match title. Draw filed the old Ford serial off and stamped on new with big mallet in the photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 06:12 pm:

Does your state require the block be stamped? In Indiana, we make a separate plate and mount on frame or firewall. Plate usually made of brass, so soft. Easier than changing numbers on block. Also I do not believe we can get a title for just an engine.Been long time since I did it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 06:18 pm:

I have no idea how that happened. Years ago I had one of the early cell phones that was in the black bag. It got a mind of its own. And it ran up an outrageous bill. Hope this 'smart phone'does not pull similar stunts

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Chillingworth on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 07:07 pm:

I believe the closest size for the engine block serial number stamping is 3/8", sometimes advertised as 8mm. The hard part is finding a set where the numeral "3" is the older style with the angled upper half instead of both bottom and top halves being rounded shaped (see the above pics). If anyone has a source for such a set, please post the source information. Thanks.

Rich C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 07:11 pm:

I believe McMaster-Carr has them. I bought a set a few years ago from them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 07:52 pm:

Rich, I thought it was the other way around. The double rounded 3s being the earlier. My used set, bought at a swap meet, have the flat top 3. If that's correct, I lucked in! My letter C for Canadian production is an O treated with a Dremel cut-off wheel.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RJ Walworth, New York on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 07:57 pm:

McMaster Carr, MSC carries the good ones the Machine Tool shop uses..not that china crap at harbor freight or pittsburg steel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 09:22 pm:

California doesn't like engine numbers anymore either. but I have been lucky to "find" the engine number stamped on the frame rail, right where Ford documented doing it in '26. My earlier frames must have been "test subjects' to see if it would work. . . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Tuesday, August 16, 2016 - 06:37 pm:

David, you are the man . . . . .

pig

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Tuesday, August 16, 2016 - 10:27 pm:

Up date. Went to KHP Vin Inspection. Told them I had a rolling chassis. No body. I was making the body (speedster). Said a frame number has to match an engine number (this is a model A). Show them the numbers before I mount a body. Save all receipts of body building. Later show them the chassis with body on and must be able to see the frame number.
Went to county treasure to see if I can get a title from a bill of sales. Yes, but must go to KHP for a vin inspection.

BYW, I bought Harbor freight 1/4 inch steel stamps and a 3 lbs hammer. I numbered the block just fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, August 17, 2016 - 11:13 pm:

If you are stamping an A engine or frame number, did you get the "A" and "*" (star) stamps? (*A12345678*). If the inspector knows Model A's then they might be looking for that. Or maybe they don't care as long as the numbers match.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 12:14 am:

Mark, So where do you get the Star stamp? Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 03:28 am:

I've got a star stamp, but I've had it for so long, I forget where I got it, think it was an ad in the Restorer Magazine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 08:54 am:

I have a set of number stamps from Harbour Freight.
They worked OK for me.
Harbour Freight products are mostly pretty good for what I do in most instances and the number stamps are one of them. The HVLP spray guns work well also. I don't always assume somethings 'not any good' because somebody else said so.

To each his own in his own world.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 09:32 am:

The stamps that are currently available most likely will not resemble the ones Ford used. If you are serious about having the exact same ones Ford used, they can be ordered from the company that makes them. Randall Anderson had the ones made for the serial number plates on the firewall, and they are identical.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 09:48 am:

You could check around the Model A community someone may have a set. The star stamp would be like the ones we would have drawn when we were kids.
Few years old;
http://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61300&showall=1

Might also check here;
http://krwilsontools.com/pages/for_sale.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 10:42 am:

I made a shim that was the same shape as the serial # display on the block and which covered the water inlet. I stamped the sn on the shim and JB'd the thing in place It looked like the "real thing" I did this as to "shave" the existing numbers off while the engine was in the car with all the stuff in place looked to me to be near impossible. Any way it worked. JERRY.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 04:58 am:

I have a set of 1/4'' Harbor Freight stamps I got thru the mail prior to them having any stores, about 30 years ago. I used them mainly to initial hardened steel hand tools back before I retired. They held up real well, I have no complaints. I bought a new 3/8'' set to remark a set of truck fuel tank caps, nice clean faces, they were brass caps, so I can't evaluate their true hardness.any roughness in lettering is due to my shaky hands. ha

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Holman on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 11:06 am:

Tyrone, On an antique you should be able to get a "title only" with a bill of sale. When your ready to license and drive, then they do an inspection...I think. I like having a title in my hand now. I realize having the frame # covered up by the body presents a problem. It's been a nightmare in the past and each county seem to interpret the rules the way they wanted, so act fast before it changes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 05:49 pm:

i stamp a lot of #s for motorcycles i never use a hammer! i use a air hammer set at 35 lbs i have a holder to hold the stamp. then you can rock it back and forth and get perfect #, with a hammer you get one chance. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 08:01 am:

the stars come up on ebay now and then, new, some one is making them

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration