Just slide the engine forward, right?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Just slide the engine forward, right?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 05:15 pm:

Nope. Not with this car.

The guys who "restored" this 1923 touring blocked the way.

These wooden blocks above both frame rails mean I'm going to have to lift the body to get the engine out. While it's out I'll do a bit of woodwork so this won't happen again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 05:27 pm:

Steve, I have taken a little drywall saw and cut the top then a wood chisel to knock the rest off, that was a whole lot easier than lifting the body. Hope this helps, Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 05:28 pm:

Steve, a friend of mine and I had the same problem when we took the engine out of his 23 touring car. The problem was not as bad in his case as in yours though. Does it appear like part of the wood has been replaced? The wood in my friend's car appears to be all original. I wound if others have had this problem.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 05:29 pm:

Should be "I wonder." Maybe that how Ford made the bodies when new.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 05:41 pm:

You got me curious, so I took a look at that area on my 1924 cut-off touring. Looks like it would require a little bit of wood cutting, but not as severe as yours, Steve. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 06:56 pm:

You don't need to raise the body...just lower the frame! :-)

I know, I know, another smart a$$ comment from Seth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 07:24 pm:

God invented a "sawz-all" for those situations !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 07:29 pm:

We had to remove the firewall and raise the body on my hack to get the motor out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 08:26 pm:

No, this is not original wood. I think it's probably about the same age as the Phillips screws stuck into it. Little by little, I'm going through this car and "downgrading" things to original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 11:54 pm:

Saws-all

Be_Zero_Be

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration