Free Start

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Free Start
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Eaton on Wednesday, August 17, 2016 - 12:38 pm:

You gotta love it- New technology! The new car gives a free start after every stop. The old one - free start often. How things have changed in 100 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Miller on Wednesday, August 17, 2016 - 01:16 pm:

The wheels are similar too. I really like the old one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, August 17, 2016 - 01:23 pm:

Gotta love free starts:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, August 17, 2016 - 08:00 pm:

I dos get free starts!

I have to pay for everything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, August 17, 2016 - 09:49 pm:

I don't get free starts

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, August 17, 2016 - 10:51 pm:

I was wondering the other day if we get more free starts with today's fuel, tighter engines and better adjusted coils then back in the day when the cars were new.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 07:45 am:

I've actually heard free starts are more common on worn engines. Don't know that I believe it.....I don't know what the rationale was for the theory, but I've heard it said on this forum. I could certainly believe that they are more common with more volatile fuel. I don't believe coil adjustment would have much bearing on it. As long as a coil will throw sparks at the plug on battery I think you would have just as good a chance for a free start as you would with a perfectly tuned one. Poorly adjusted coils show their colors when running on magneto.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 08:05 am:

Yrs ago when the big car show and swap meet was at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, I showed my '14 Model T Ford and drove it around the race track. When I got back to the show grounds, we were talking about free starts. I shut off my Model t and it gave me a free start. I knew it would. Then a fellow asked if it do it again. I said sure. It did it 33 times before I quit. That is the number of race cars they raced in May. That's the reason I remember the number.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 10:58 am:

"I've actually heard free starts are more common on worn engines."

That sounds plausible as the worn engines spin over easier than an "unworn" engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 01:15 pm:

My unrestored '17 is very worn out (the original owner drove it for 30 years).

It will free start all day long.

I can get free starts with my dad's '17 touring (fairly fresh rebuild) but not like I can with my roadster.

Also, you can guarantee more free starts if you don't idle down before turning off the ignition and/or if you set up your timer so it is overly retarded when the spark lever is all the way up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philippe BROST, France on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 03:24 pm:

I got a free start with my completely new rebuilt engine with cold engine. I just primed it three turns with choke closed and no spark, turned the key on battery and it started.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 09:09 am:

Philippe brings up an interesting point. What exactly constitutes a free start? To me, a free start is doing nothing more than turning the gas on if you shut it off, then turning the key on. Maybe others have a wider definition?

As for my car, I've never gotten a free start, but I've had it pop when I turn the key on. It'll fire that first quarter but doesn't spin over enough to actually start. But very rarely do I have to crank it more than three quarters before she's off to the races.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 09:30 am:

There's a couple of YouTube videos of owners doing 'free starts' with their T's...here is one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIKGI5qTc_I

Different ways, sometimes just a turn of the key to BAT, with spark retarded already. Other times you leave the spark advanced and then retard to get a coil to fire and start the engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 12:25 pm:

I'd still give it credit for a free start even if you had to choke it first. My definition would just be that you didn't use the crank or starter and that it started on it's own when you flipped the switch to battery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 01:48 pm:

My 26 "Doctor's Coupe" would give free starts 5-10 in a row before I swapped out the vaporizer for the Holley NH. Now it's rare.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 02:09 pm:

If I pull up and shut it off. Then switch to battery and it starts. That is a free start. No nothing else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philippe BROST, France on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 04:32 pm:

"Free start" even after priming with crank and choke can only be obtained with a model T. All other cars of this period have high tension mag or distributor that cannot give start without crank or starter. Isn't it enough to call it "free start" ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 05:08 pm:

There were some early distributor equipped cars with a free start button back in the starterless days, so you could have a try before cranking - here's one thread about such a system from Remy:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/259803.html?1326465597

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 05:15 pm:

My dad's 1910 IHC Model F roadster has a Remy low tension mag and a "free start" button on the coil box. (The same box as Steve Hughes posted in the other thread but with the correct hard rubber handle key.)

It does work but one of the four pistons needs to be in the proper position on the downstroke in order for the car to start successfully on its own.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 11:20 pm:

Eric: I would like to see a photo of your coil box with the correct knob. I would like to see how close I came with the wood one that I made. Either post it here or email it to me at skh at eskays dot com.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 11:44 pm:

I used an old-timer trick on several T's I owned. Put the spark up all the way, with a piece of wood,say a Popsicle stick, under the spark lever.Angle it from the stop at the top of the quadrant down to the point where you normally get a free start. Leave the switch turned to battery. When you come out of the hardware store or wherever you've been, announce to the crowd--you better start, you ***** of ****,you, and so forth. Kick hell out of a front tire, thus knocking the spark lever down the 'ramp'.Jump on and drive off.Always leaves them slack-jawed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 12:06 am:

A free start is anytime you turn the key and the car starts. Only counting those when you shut the car of and then turn it back on is a bit wonky, as it has been primed by the engine having just been turning. I do not give up on my car for a free start if it does nothing until I pull the timing all the way down and then back up quickly, it will start that way about as often as when it is retarded all the way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 10:58 am:

Jim, I'm not getting the vision on how your popsicle trick works. Could you post pictures of how you set it up? I've heard of hanging a weight on the lever in order to do the same thing, but this sounds a little more inconspicuous.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 02:33 pm:

And what do you do if she doesn't start???
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 04:33 pm:

Hey Fred. I think you can free starts at one of the venders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 04:37 pm:

David. Divorce her and get one that will.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration