Car value needed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Car value needed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, August 17, 2016 - 01:25 pm:

I know, I know, pictures would help, but in this case it's not possible so we have to work without them.

What I need, for a friend, is a consensus opinion as to the approximate value of an original, unrestored '26 Fordor. The original interior is usable but someone removed the entire top assembly. No metal cutting or anything, but there's nothing there. The body itself is very nice and seems to have no wood issues. The fenders have had some welding done on them and they still have some dings but the welding is so-so quality and was never ground down or finished in any way. It has wood wheels which may or may not need re-spoking, and the mechanicals have never been gone through although everything is there. In short, it looks like a good survivor that someone started to work on by removing the top and going at the fenders with an arc welder, but no further.

In a way, this is like asking "what size is a gray suit?" but I'd like to hear from some current or past Fordor owners in order to help my friend get some idea. Thanks for any insight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Wednesday, August 17, 2016 - 01:33 pm:

R.V.,

As a '26 Fordor owner knowing what I know now. I'd start at $2500.

The upholstery kit and top wood are two expensive items and if you need more wood than that you'll be spending more. The mechanicals you already know how much they'll cost.

I can provide the name of a guy who can make you some very nice floorboards :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, August 17, 2016 - 02:20 pm:

I will second Tom's estimate

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, August 17, 2016 - 02:44 pm:

I would support the value between $2000 - $2500 and caution the prospective buyer that restoration costs would easily exceed the value of a restored car. A restored Fordor can be bought for a fraction of the cost of restoration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, August 17, 2016 - 04:40 pm:

I don't know about the car but the gray suit is a size 38 long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Wednesday, August 17, 2016 - 04:50 pm:

I paid $4k for this solid unrestored 1926 4 door

26 ford fourdoor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Wednesday, August 17, 2016 - 05:04 pm:

Like almost everyone else in the T hobby, I get upset when some street rodder get his hands on a T(or about anything else, for that matter) that is a decent, viable car. BUT, in a case like this I would lose no sleep if that happened to this Fordor body. Save chassis fenders and a anything else these guys won't use. Let 'em use fibreglass fenders. Then----speedster or whatever someone wants. That will get Another T killing bugs a lot quicker and more economically feasible than a Fordor.
Keep the title.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Wednesday, August 17, 2016 - 05:10 pm:

Paul---did your Fordor come from near North Manchester, In?It is a twin for one that was sold out of my group of T friends there. And that is what that one brought. I imagine that it had five owners,not counting the ones that owned it twice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, August 17, 2016 - 06:22 pm:

Thanks, guys. The original upholstery is usable as is and won't need replaced, so that is one plus. My understanding is that the car was running fine when it was put up, which if true may mean no major overhaul is needed, but I doubt if that can be verified.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 10:46 am:

Jim---as far as I know, this is/has been an Ohio car----from a barn in a small Ohio town, nearby. Paul

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration