I hit a kitten on the road

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: I hit a kitten on the road
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Wednesday, August 17, 2016 - 02:39 pm:

A couple of days ago this happen and my pickup still smells like that black cat. There must have been some white stripes on that cats back as my pickup still smells like that cat. Lucky for me, We are getting some rain and that helps to wash off some of that smell. Glad this happen with my pickup and not with a T as the pickup gets parked outside.
WHAT FUN LIFE GIVES US

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Wednesday, August 17, 2016 - 02:44 pm:

HAHAHA I actually busted out laughing when I read this. At first with the thread title I thought "oh man, that's terrible" lol but then when I realized it was a POLEcat . . .

I have never hit one of those before *knock on wood*.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, August 17, 2016 - 03:24 pm:

You don't always need to actually hit one. Sometimes just passing a fresh one will provide many miles of enjoyment. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, August 17, 2016 - 03:27 pm:

Stink Kitty

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Wednesday, August 17, 2016 - 04:06 pm:

It's the gift that just keeps giving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Wednesday, August 17, 2016 - 04:52 pm:

My Dad always it is a "STRIPED KITTY WITH A FLUID DRIVE"
Luckily I have never run over or hit one in my life and hope that I never do.

I had to go under our house and put one in a bag and take it out and that was the worst smell I have ever had to withstand. My Dad and I had to take one out of a shallow dug well and whew what a smell, then use purex on the well for a few days.
oh what fun we did have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, August 17, 2016 - 07:54 pm:

I learned to love the striped kitty many years ago.

We spent our Summer's on Cape Cod and would hang around with a group of teens.
A couple of us had cars and we would go to Falmouth for ice cream, miniature golf, etc.
The girls would usually go with me because they liked my car.
Sometimes an outsider would join us for a week or so while his/her parents vacationed on the Cape.

This one kid showed up and his daddy had a convertible.
When it came time to go to Falmouth all the girls wanted to go with him so the guys went with me.
Since he didn't know where we were going he followed me.
To make the story short- I side swiped a skunk and they were next to him when he got his bearings and decided to make stinky.

I am not sure how long it took the car to smell normal but the perfume jokes etc went on for the rest of the summer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, August 17, 2016 - 08:36 pm:

pepe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, August 17, 2016 - 11:38 pm:

Thanks for the laughs, all! I have come SO-O close, SO-O many times, to hitting one of those things, or hit by one of them. However, SO-O far, I have not (well?). We smell them often enough in our mountain home. That is bad enough. I often go out the side door of the garage to head out to the shop building. After dark, I usually turn on the outside light, make a little noise with the door, then as I open the door the rest of the way, I call out "Hey Pepe! Are out here, I don't see you! I don't want to smell you!" I often see them scurry off (naturally, they head toward the shop where I am planning to go). They usually stop, turn around and look at me as I walk closer, then they run off.
Then, there was the night. The one when I made my noise. Then felt the thud as I opened the door the rest of the way. You got it. I hit the white-striped little black kitty-like critter with the door! I saw it, I slammed the door quickly, and waited about five minutes before opening it again. When I looked out again, I didn't smell anything. I went on out to the shop, got what I needed, and went back into the house. About a half hour later, I started to smell it. It took almost two weeks that time for the smell to diminish to where we didn't notice it. A new record. I don't know why he waited? Guess he just ran off, then came back to file his protest.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 02:24 am:

-Willie-
Thanks for conjuring the memories! Perhaps, sharing my own experience will cause at least a smile for 'skunk tales':

Growing up on a farm, it seems like there was an abundance of new experiences to be had.....

I was probably about 10 or 11 years old, and my older sisters and I were expected to contribute our labor as we could with the chores of the farm. Learning some responsibility while gaining my age was considered to be a part of it.

That farm of ours was alongside one of those typical 'lazy river' tributaries. One spot along the river-flats had even been used as a trash dump, from where I'd found many old soda and beer bottles to take back to the General Store for their 'two-cents each deposit'.

The neighbor's farm next door still had a heavily-wooded clump of about 5 to 7 acres, where different wildlife could be found, IF we went to look! "Just be careful!"

Well, either my grandpa had carved it out when he cleared the land, or there was a natural drainage ditch 'of-sorts' that crossed our land about a quarter-mile from our buildings. It went from the neighbor's over to the river flats where that old trash dump was located... On occasion, we would see a black and white tail above the ditch edge, 'bouncing along merrily' to make it's way from the woods to the old trash dump. I'd point them out to Dad whenever I saw them... (What you don't know, can't hurt you. Right? The normally nocturnal skunk showing up in the daytime is also probably rabid..... ) Dad had also told me how 'skunk oil' had been used for making perfume in 'days-gone-by...' Part of his ploy????

"You know, if you pick 'em up by the tail, they can't spray you...."

"How do you do that?"

"Go down next to the river-flats, and cut about a 6-foot-long or so branch from a willow or choke-cherry. But, remember you'll need to find one that you'll be able to have about another foot-long 'fork' at one end. Trim it up like a fishing pole with a fork, and you'll be ready to go after 'em. They don't have good eyesight to their sides, so you just run along side while they're on their way with their tail sticking up. All you have to do is put the fork out there around their tail, twirl the stick to catch their tail and you can pick 'em up!"

(I'll make some money... Skunk oil can be sold!!!)

Dad and I were out in the barn one afternoon, when I saw one of those tails bouncing along down there in the ditch. Grab the stick and let's go!!

Caught up to the skunk and stuck out the stick. Running alongside... Catch the tail with the fork... Twirl... Oops! Skunk stopped running! 'Bail out' until he runs next again! A few seconds... He's running again... Let' go!... Adrenalin....

REPEAT!!!

REPEAT!!!

It took a few more tries, but guess what? "I got him!" I proudly lifted my trophy wriggling around out there at the end of my stick!! Then, I looked back in the direction of the barn.....

And 'WHO?' do you think was bent over with hysterical laughter, and who had been watching this entire episode??? (I think I've just been 'had'....) It was kind of like having a bear by the tail in one hand, and THE winning lottery ticket in the other. "Now that I've got it, WHAT THE HELL DO I DO WITH IT??"

Answer: 'Throw the damn stick and run!'

'Memories' can still make for some chuckles. But, if you're not willing to laugh at yourself, then you have no right to laugh at somebody else either! After all, medical research has found that laughter helps to prevent ulcers....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 05:28 am:

:-) Did you escape getting sprayed, Marv?

There's a book out there with a true story about a guy getting skunk sprayed while driving his Model T Speedster back in the 30's. Thin book with some fun moments, but not all that essential in your Model T library.. (would have liked it better with some authentic photos of the T)
https://www.createspace.com/4338065

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 08:21 am:

While I was still driving a semi, I was delivering a load at McCoofschrope@onlyinternet.netk IL and in front of the place a mom skunk and some babies ran out in front of me. I couldn't miss them. I drove in the place, waited my turn to unload, backed in to the dock, which was inside, by the way. Never got unloaded at that place so quick of all the times I went there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cliff Colee on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 10:34 am:

When I was a kid my folks would send me from Florida to summer over with a farmer uncle who lived in Trilla, Illinois. Uncle Charles had a huge farm so he let me drive the tractor (hey, I was 8 or 9 at the time and thought that was Way. Cool.)

They had a yellow lab who thought it was his God-given duty to catch, and bring home, every skunk in the county. Of course, he never learned to catch one without being sprayed.....

As the 'newcomer', it fell to me to wash the dog in tomato juice (my aunt bought cases of the cheapest tomato juice around). It took me two summers to work out of 'newcomer' status - my younger brother came with me the third year and I was able to foist dog-washing duties on him. He still calls me out about that.....45 years later...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 11:17 am:

One day when I was 10 my older brother and self were out putzying about on an unused road allowance close to home when we spotted a skunk waddling along. We watched it for a bit and then decided we should catch it. We got a forked stick about 4 or 5 foot long and I proceeded to pin the skunk down by the neck. Then we hemmed and hawed about what to do w/it. My brother decided to smack it over the head to knock it out. He grabbed a stout stick and hit that skunk over the head. At the same time the skunk sprayed and I got both barrels, including in the face.
They wouldn't let me in school for a few days after that.
To this day the smell of a skunk doesn't bother me in the least, other people will say uck what a stench and I'll just smile. I got used to it in a big hurry that day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 11:21 am:

Skunks were once common around the Pacific Northwest but are increasingly rare. I think the damned possums are replacing them on the food chain.

I'll take a skunk any day over a possum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Conklin on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 11:47 am:

I was getting ready to leave home for the weekly breakfast with the old car guys. I looked out my front window and saw a mangy looking skunk in the front yard. A few minutes later I on went out to my van and started to back out when I felt a bump. I had backed over the skunk but but it was still moving. I wasn't going any where near it so I decided to go on to breakfast.
While at breakfast my wive calls and asked if I knew there was a dead skunk in the driveway . My mistake was saying yes I know!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 01:35 pm:

To answer Roger, I was able to escape without getting sprayed. There are different experiences and episodes from growing up on the farm that could 'fill a book'... (My Grandkids have been asking me to write them out...)
We form mental pictures of events, but this keeps popping into my mind:
In light of the riots and civil unrest we hear about globally, I'm curious to learn more. Have the Israeli's indeed created a 'better ammunition' for their water cannons...??? A Skunk odor sprayed to dispel unwarranted or hostile crowds! Supposedly, the smell won't wash off and will last for weeks. Seems a whole lot better and humane than tear gas or rubber bullets to me! Looters would be easier to hunt down too!!! Does anybody know, or was this just a rumor?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 01:43 pm:

My neighbor had a pet skunk (deodorized) when I was about 9 whenever a new boy would come by to see his daughter he would "SIC" the skunk on them... the ones that didn't run were allowed to hang around. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 04:03 pm:

Do write a book, Marv :-)
You can get it printed in low numbers on demand too - sounds like a interesting life on your farm :-)

Interesting idea for use as a non lethal weapon too, if the skunk odor can be produced synthetically.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 04:53 pm:

Cute little fellows, but I'm still glad we haven't got any of them around here - here's an encounter with a lucky bicyclist: https://youtu.be/cm_G82Vq5jY

(Message edited by Roger K on August 18, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lyon, PDX, OR. on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 07:02 pm:

My mom hit a fresh kill on a trip to spend the night at my uncle's house. In the middle of the night his neighbors came over to complain about the stink. My uncle took the car to the local hi-school and parked it in the middle of the football field. Don.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 08:03 pm:

While I was getting on plane in China my wife sent me an email asking what she should do.

She had a skunk in a have-a-heart trap in the garage. :-)

I told her to call the town hall and see if they could help.
When I got off the plane in Chicago I learned that the chief of police had covered the cage with an old blanket and moved the cage into the driveway.
At least it was not in the garage!

When I got home I put a hook on a long rope, moved the cover so I could attach it to the release handle, and attached the rope to the handle. All the time trying to keep the trap covered.

I moved away and opened the trap.

The shrunk slowly exited the trap, looked at me, and walked away.

Whew!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 08:47 pm:

I got tangled up with a skunk at work last week and it didn't go so well. I am an exterminator for a University and had to go into a small space and catch one in a net.

Here is a short video from this spring where I had a skunk with a beverage cup stuck on it's head. I got the cup off it's head and we both went separate ways. An absolutely beautiful animal with reverse colors, I did it a favor and it let me go also. The person with the cell pone really wanted to film me getting sprayed.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7PAB6d0L63ZUExJbm1JQ0c3WVk/view?pref=2&pli=1

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Addington on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 09:06 pm:

About a month ago the wife and I got home from Cauerd Alene one evening and were packing groceries in the house. All of a sudden our blue healer took off around the yard fence and into the front hay field. He came back out with a skunk in his mouth still alive. He managed to get it to the yard and then proceeded to dis member it. By the time he was done there were skunk parts in a 15 foot circle and he was pukin and rubbing his face in the grass. Not to hard to guess who had to pick up the parts with a pitch fork and try to get them put in a plastic bag!! Ya that would be me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 09:33 pm:

Here is a photo of the reverse colored skunk;

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7PAB6d0L63ZdXFvY2dERW1OUFk/view?pref=2&pli=1

Not a bad animal and actually beneficial as they dig up grubs, yellow jackets and good for your lawn but they will react to any threat in a bad way. Dogs like to play with them and have been there many times. 3% hydrogen peroxide mixed with dish soap and baking soda for a bath will take most of it off. Tomato sauce makes a dog smell like skunk and tomato sauce.

A shower after being sprayed activates it and makes it worse and burns your eyes...I know first hand. I will take skunk spray any day over yellow jacket stings...got that also this week in the neck and that is not a place to get stung.

My work is all fun and games, just got off the roof of a farm house for yellow jackets in the wall, no room to run off a roof unless you know how to fly. Caught 15 bats last week in offices...How was your day?

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 10:31 pm:

Tim reminds of the time I was dropping something off at Don's house and I found him in an 12 inch space under his deck with a pellet gun going after a skunk.

Don -although a brilliant guy - has a history of getting into trouble. In fact every time the volunteer fire horn goes off the texts start asking what has Don this time? Once he was trying to drill a hole in the door and put the drill through his hand and had to get the fire dept to reverse the drill to get him unstuck.

Any way - the skunk was not under the deck but I had dig out some dirt together him out.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration