Old Photo - Model T Era - Muddy Ohio Road

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Model T Era - Muddy Ohio Road
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, August 17, 2016 - 05:59 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke----central TX. on Wednesday, August 17, 2016 - 06:06 pm:

Looks like my driveway right about now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Wednesday, August 17, 2016 - 06:15 pm:

That stretch of road would be a good candidate for 'planking'. At least that is what my ancestors and their neighbors did. Not the state, County, or Township. One of my 3rdgrt grandfather's,Enos Boyd, even built a covered bridge. Those things amaze me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Wednesday, August 17, 2016 - 07:33 pm:

Ohio and Mud. Ohio must the crown jewel state for roads and mud. The State Department of Agriculture in the 1880's had a concern for the condition of roads after teamsters complained - The statement that stands out after a few wagons were lost " No one knows the depth of mud."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Wednesday, August 17, 2016 - 08:11 pm:

When I was little we had a neighbor that had a team if horses and a wagon, He would hall water to a mud hole on the road at night, then charge 25 cents to pull cars out of the mud hole. the next day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Wednesday, August 17, 2016 - 09:54 pm:

Eugene, that sound like a story.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 05:49 am:

Ingenuity....hahha

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph W. Rudzik on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 09:45 am:

In relation to Eugene's story, I read a book on the little things townspeople and local farmers would do to fight the automobile. Glass in the road to take out tires, small Tiger pits to drive into, the infamous speed signs and I read about a man who quietly "rerouted" a small stream to cross the road. Strange, he "just happened" to be plowing in the area in time of need by the stuck motorist.

Joe R. Independence, MO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph W. Rudzik on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 10:11 am:

Come to think of it, there was a TV show hosted by Grouchy Marx that covered the anti-auto sentiment of the early 20th century. I believe it aired in 1950 or 1960. The one law that still stands out in my mind was from Ohio or Pennsylvania, somewhere, that required the auto driver to do this: (1) If you encounter a horse drawn vehicle, the automobile will yield right of way. OK! (2) If the horse balks and refuses to pass said Auto, the driver is required to help move the horse past the auto, blindfold,whatever. Still OK! (3) If horse still balks, driver is to pull said Auto off into the weeds. Yeah,kinda OK. (4) If horse still balks, driver of said Auto is required to DISMANTLE said Auto and hide it IN the weeds. YEAH,RIGHT!! And, yes, there was penalty for noncompliance,but it slips my mind now. Joe R. Independence, MO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 08:56 pm:

Looks like even those chickens won't cross that road!! ha ha.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 09:03 pm:

Interesting stuff.
Thanks.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration