OT-1907 Ford HCCA

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT-1907 Ford HCCA
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Skingley ......Westland, Michigan on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 07:09 am:

Did S models have a rectangular shaped dash?

http://www.hcca.org/classifieds.php?cars

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 07:23 am:

Robert,

Yes, the 1907-08 (and we would think of it more as a 1908 model year -- but that didn't come along until a while later) Model S Runabout had the same dash as the Model N Runabout & Model R Runabout.

The Model S Roadster had a curved metal cowl and a mother-in-law seat. And the illustrations of the Model S Touring car also had that curved metal cowl.

If you or anyone else would like a copy of "How to ID the Model N,R,S, & SR" please drop me a note and I will send you a copy of that.

Note the Model N Runabout; the Model R Runabout; The Model S Runabout; and the Model S Roadster all started with a number 1 engine serial number and number 1 car serial number that matched the engine. Even though the chassis was very very similar.

Below is page 3 from one of the Ford 1908 Price List of Parts Catalog showing those four models. They also had a Coupe, Laudalet, and possibly a touring car (definitely a touring car in England).

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 08:03 am:

Robert,

That is a nice looking early Ford. Note all the 1906-1908 Model N, R, S, & SR parts could be swapped out between the various models. They would fit and function fine. Just like you can swap out that parts on a 1917-1922 Roadster or touring.

In this case the car appears to have one of the first style Model N Runabout bodies. That early style had the top irons come out through the back of the front seats. That style body was phased out and replaced by a Model N Runabout (also used on the Model S Runabout) that had the top irons go up to the top of the seat backs rather than through the rear of the seat backs. [Canadian cars could have been different as their bodies were produced in Canada.]

The car has the force feed oiler on the right hand side of the engine which is typical of the 1906-1908 Model N Runabout cars. The Model R Runabout; Model S Runabout; and Model S Roadster all used a mechanical oiler that was driven by a belt (looked like an old screen door spring) run from a pulley on the camshaft. It also has the cover over the camshaft that would be there on the N engine and would not be there on the R, S, or SR engine. [As mentioned previously -- the engines and chassis are almost identical. So you could fit any original style oiler to any engine using the original Ford parts. ]

The car has the Model S Roadster Fenders and running boards. The running boards are 22 inches and considerably shorter than the Model R or Model S Runabouts which shared the same chassis , fenders, and running boards (the R had 30 x 3 clincher tires and the S had 28 x 3 clincher tires and the SR had 30 x 3 clincher tires) To my knowledge and there is always more to discover, Ford did not offer that combination from the factory. And if they did ever offer that combination, the fenders were not produced until 1908 so it would have been 1908.

I would love to know more about the car -- the history etc. "IF" the body is original to the car it most likely was a 1906 to early 1907 Model N Runabout. "IF" the engine is original to the car, the serial number would narrow down the time frame to within a month or two or an exact date it was shipped "IF" the number is included in the remaining accounts receivable ledgers. Note we would need to know the model it was -- as each of the models repeated the first 2000 plus serial numbers.

Good news -- the Model N, R, S, & SR are all lumped together in the value guides the last time I looked. They are all worth about the same. And with changing out the fenders, replacing the running boards with the proper step plates, replacing the associated brackets, and the wheels if they are not already the 28 x 3 it would be a very correct Model N Runabout. Most of those needed parts are available in good reproduction (Rootlieb for fenders for example).

Again, good looking car that has had the major work done (check to ensure who did it). I would love to have a car that old that was that nice.

If anyone finds out the engine serial number, please let us know.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

(Message edited by Hap_tucker on August 18, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Skingley ......Westland, Michigan on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 08:20 am:

Hap thanks for the reply, I had lumped the S & SR mistakenly together......love the early Ford's....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 05:33 pm:

I don't think the NH carb would be correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 05:42 pm:

Frank,

You are correct about the NH carb. But it runs very nicely on the cars (some would say it is better than the original stock carbs -- just as some would say that the NH is the best of the Model T carbs). It has a choke rather than a flooder. (What's a flooder? A little button that the owner pushes on to push the carb float down so the carb will flood and enrich the mixture for starting.) And the NH is a lot less expensive to rebuild.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration