Research the existence of a 1912 Model T Touring car

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Research the existence of a 1912 Model T Touring car
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael B Johnstone on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 12:24 pm:

Hi; My name is Mike Johnstone and I'm interested in researching whether a particular Model T is still in existence. The car was purchased by my grandfather (Gus Walters) in 1912. Gus was part of the Ford Management team and I have the original invoice for the car. I'm looking for guidance on how I might locate the car and it's owner. The motor # is 129,000 and it was the 134,231st Model T produced. If anyone wants to see the invoice please send your email address to mjohnstone@thebeverlybank.com. Regards, Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 09:12 pm:

Mike,

While it is a long shot that your Grandfather's 1912 is still out there, you will probably never know unless you ask the question.

I will send you an e-mail requesting a copy of the invoice, and if you give us your permission I will downsize the document and paste it on this site with this thread.

I am running a search of the "Vintage Ford" magazines for the number 129,000 and tomorrow morning I will run a search for 129000. And later I will do the same for the "Model T Times." Both of those are the magazines for the two largest national Model T Ford clubs.

You should also consider placing a "wanted" advertisement -- in the various Antique car web sites. And because many of our older members do not visit the web sites, I would also recommend that you advertise in the associated old car magazines. I will post some names and addresses later tomorrow of Saturday. But the HCCA, AACA, MTFCA, MTFCI, etc. along with Hemmings Motor News would be good places to advertise.

Note there is also a chance that the engine has survived apart from the car. Many folks have swapped out engines back in the day as well as recently. And of course the car may have survived without the original engine.

Note the engine number is actually stamped onto the engine. Your comment that it was the 134,231st Model T produced is probably based on the words "Car No. 134,231" or something similar to that on the invoice. That is actually the number that was assigned to the car. And it was stamped onto a metal ID Patent plate that was attached to the car. I will also post a photo of one of those by Sat.

For those that might be wondering if you are a hoax or not, I checked an you are listed as a prominent individual at your bank -- so you are not working out of Nigeria etc.

While it is a long shot -- it might work out. You also have the options of purchasing a 1912 that is similar to the one your Grandfather had. If you have any photos that would also possibly aid finding the car.

My search is still running but I need to stop for the night. I'll check on the results in the morning.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 07:35 am:

Mike,

My first search finished and the only 129,000 it found in the “Vintage Ford” or the “Model T Times” (does not include the most recent years & months as they are not digitized yet) were the references to the engine serial numbers 3,128,801 to 3,129,000 (200 numbers) being sent to the Long Island Ford plant on May 26, 1919 to be stamped onto engines that were assembled at that plant.

My search for 129000 is still running and we will report back on that later.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 07:50 am:

Here are a couple variations of the 1912 Ford touring car

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 07:26 pm:

Herb,

Nice 1912's.

Mike,

My search for 129000 produced no results from the "Vintage Ford" or from "The Model T Times."

I did find that engine/car #3129000 a commercial Model T was registered to Patrick McCarthy of Bridgeport, Connecticut in 1920.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 09:01 pm:

Michael, would it be possible if someone in your family has any recollection of who your Grandfather sold the car to? After nearly 100 years there may a slim chance your Father or Mother may have some of your Grandfathers papers they may have acquired in his latter years that may have some of his records if any were kept at all.
That may be one of the slim chance's you might have if there is one at all. You probably have already tried that I would assume. Good luck.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration