Model T is on the top ten greatest american cars of all time

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Model T is on the top ten greatest american cars of all time
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron frazer on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 01:30 pm:

Was on the interweb and found this small article of the top ten greatest American cars of all time and the Ford Model T was #1!
http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/research/top-10-greatest-american-cars-of-all-tim e/ar-AAct9uI?li=BBnb4R5#page=2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel(Indiana Trucks)Star City In on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 02:11 pm:

Funny thing is someone on here found it listed as the #1 worst car ever on another list a couple years ago! I like your list better. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron frazer on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 02:22 pm:

Yea I remember that list and it was top ten most unsafe cars of all time. I like this one better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 03:03 pm:

Naming the Ford Mustang as one of the top 10 is bogus.
I have a '65 Coupe and as far as cars go it's not "all that" having thin sheet metal throughout over a Falcon frame not that there is anything (much) wrong with the Falcon frame.
They are cheaply built cars (Henry would love that) that just happen to be a really fun ride.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron frazer on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 03:42 pm:

Craig I have a Model T chassis I will trade you for that bogus 65 coupe you have so you wont have to worry about that falcon frame and thin sheet metal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 06:39 pm:

It IS for sale Aaron....... :-O
It's much easier for me to climb into the T's than to slide down into the Mustang....... :-(

(Message edited by cahartley on August 18, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 07:20 pm:

Craig it's the idea, the style, for pete's sake the design has never gotten old ! I'll keep mine, 21 years and counting, worst, best, HAH everyone has an opinion. Now back to the model T's, I made carts with baby buggy wheels and a rope for steering, you know, sort of like a model T !I have never drove a T but I am sure having fun putting it together!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 07:37 am:

The deal with the Mustangs is, when it came out, there was nothing sporty that the average person could buy. In all areas, the Mustang fit the bill. It was low cost, had many options available, it was hard to find two that were exactly the same, and it had affordable performance.
I bought my Mustang in May of 1965 with the High Performance package. One of the main reasons I bought the car was I was going to buy the High Performance engine and the 4 speed transmission new from Ford and put it in a 55 Ford. By the time I priced it out, for not much more I could buy the the whole Mustang.
One of the automotive magazines at the time, did a 0 to 60 test on it, at 6 seconds. Near as I can tell, mine was right on. Which by today's standards that might not be that great. In 1965, that was a rocket. This was just before the Shelby came out, which was even faster. I still have mine that I bought new in 1965.
On the Olds 88, calling that the first muscle car, actually by their own definition of the 32 Ford V-8, that was really the first muscle car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 07:47 am:

Yep, a Mustang is a Falcon with some cool sheet metal. But it is REALLY COOL sheet metal!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 07:58 am:

Actually the Shelby was out. I ordered the Mustang March 17 '65, it took two months for it to come in. As a side note a friend bought a 65 Shelby new, shortly after prepped it for sports car racing and was very successful with it. It went through a few more racers hands and surprisingly still survives.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron frazer on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 10:14 am:

Craig with out getting rid of one of my cars I wouldn't be able to get another one, so unless you want a Model A coupe or a Model T chassis. You have a good looking mustang though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 10:51 am:

Unibody Mustangs in the Twin Cities were the ultimate rust magnets due to winter road salt. In my opinion, substantially worse than other cars of that period.

Years ago I looked at a low mileage 1965 Mustang that a little old lady was selling. The interior was immaculate. I opened the trunk and the springs were protruding through the floor. She was still driving the car and ignored the problem by covering the springs with a rug.

I've seen many other Mustang rust buckets from that era.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 11:06 am:

Rob, I found the T on the worst list because the tree-hugger writer felt that it led to our dependence on the motorcar which caused pollution... etc, etc, etc. He didn't consider what New York City was like with 100,000 horses shi--ing everywhere.
I actually think that the list that Aaron found was pretty reasonable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 11:21 am:

How many "filters" can we run what is and is not "the greatest car/s" through ? Sounds
like an exercise is pushing whose ever agenda is pontificating at the moment. I think the
Model it is a cheap and "crappy" little car (or truck). Compared to high quality and more
substantial cars/trucks of the time. But is also a wonderful and fun little buggy to own and
drive, and it certainly was a grand slam design for its day, in terms of what the market wanted/
needed. I love my T, but I'd be blowing smoke up people's backside to not admit that a fair
chunk of its charm and fun comes from being a cheap little rattle box of a vehicle ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron frazer on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 11:25 am:

I think John maybe your right that the writer was picking on the T, but if I remember right the writer was kinda comparing the T with the Pinto on how the gas tank was in an unsafe position, but I rather have it under me in a safe framed box verses in the trunk like the pinto. I think the writer all so said something about the way they were made was unsafe in a crash and caused more deaths in a car back then, but compared to how other cars were made I think the T was one of the more safer cars at the time. Just because it the most bought car the at time does not make in unsafe due to its more likely to be in an accident due to the cars popularity. Most of the accidents were more likely due to human driving errors or just bad drivers.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration