Old Photo - TT Truck Piled High With Scrap Wood

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - TT Truck Piled High With Scrap Wood
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 05:30 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 06:51 pm:

He is employed by "Driftwood International" every morning he loads his truck up and drives along the beach throwing pieces of wood out every 25 yards so the tourists can gather it up and make coat racks, clocks, lamps, and other crap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 07:50 pm:

There must have been one really hot day at the warehouse. Every window is broken.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 08:49 pm:

Interesting cab. Appears to be a '16-'22 cowl and windshield. Definitely not a factory C cab. The roadster/touring body doesn't seem to be too old when it was repurposed into a truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 08:55 pm:

@ Dennis Seth....."...so tourists can gather it up and make coat racks,clocks,lamps and other CRAP."

Hahaha-that's funny.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 01:31 am:

Note the fancy radio antenna in the background above the truck cab.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 10:53 am:

For a moment I thought a string of boxcars was running across a railroad grade on the distant valley
floor beyond, but the perspective was just not right. It is actually a carrier wire with a lead cable hung
on it. Unusual to not have the phone strung as openwire at this time, especially in a non-urban setting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 11:07 am:

Burger, I think your first hunch was correct. The tree behind the small shed building is beyond the line of the telegraph pole. What appears to be a freight train is way beyond in the distance. The wire at the top of the pole has some sag to it. The other 'line' I think is the train, is on a perfect straight and level. You do have a good eye however!
I never noticed that far in the distance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 03:16 pm:

Look again ....

Those boxcars would have to be 200' long, if they are that far away .... something that did not
exist in 1925, let alone today. Also, the dark and light areas pass right through what would be a
solid wall of color for each "boxcar". It sure does LOOK like a freight train at first glance, but the
perspective just doesn't quite work.

The home made radio antenna is interesting. Radio was quite new at the time. I guess this rural
dweller really wanted to listen to the radio !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 04:30 pm:

Yep train.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 04:34 pm:

You call that a load? This is a load.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 04:47 am:

He must have been really disappointed when the local phone company decided to cross one of the roads he used!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 07:37 am:

What is that leaning against the spare tire

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 08:49 am:

I think that "train" is a row of fencing-but only maybe. It's not a train. Burger's right about the "coloring" showing through..look at the far right of the picture, 2nd. "opening" from the right..it's the same color as the hill behind it. Great picture, that poor truck has TON of weight on it. Those 20 horses really had to work hard pulling that load. Good thing those TT's were geared low.
Amazes me how scruffy everything was back in that era.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 02:36 pm:

Doug - I've been wondering that too! Whatever it is, it seems to have four "labels" on it. At the bottom, it actually looks like some type of animal "hoofs". (....or is it "hooves") (???)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 02:41 pm:

At first, I thought that was a load of some type of "less than choice" firewood of some kind. Like tree roots or something, but now, I'm wondering if maybe it's a load of "animal parts", going to or from a slaughter house or something. (???)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 04:24 pm:

The piece just over the cab sure looks like a tree stump with roots spreading
outward from it.

I don't know about you cats, but few things in my experience have been as
energy consuming as pulling tree stumps from the ground ! Even with the right
tools like steam donkeys and dynamite, they are a stiff challenge. Makes me
wonder what his motivation for working up a load of them was.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 04:39 pm:

Burger - I think you're right about the tree stump. And you're also right about the work involved with tree stump removal! Whew! Just one stump is a lot of work! And that might be a whole load of them! You might just have it right though;....might be that over a period of time, that ol' timer, with some help from "the boys" (whoever they might have been) might have cleared another parcel of land to enlarge the farm a bit more. And when the truck gets fulla' stumps, ya' haul 'em away someplace, huh? But again, as Doug says, what the heck is leaning against the spare tire (besides another tire) and what are the lables or whatever? Quite a "mysterious" picture for sure,.......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 04:41 pm:

Burger - I think you're right about the tree stump. And you're also right about the work involved with tree stump removal! Whew! Just one stump is a lot of work! And that might be a whole load of them! You might just have it right though;....might be that over a period of time, that ol' timer, with some help from "the boys" (whoever they might have been) might have cleared another parcel of land to enlarge the farm a bit more. And when the truck gets fulla' stumps, ya' haul 'em away someplace, huh? But again, as Doug says, what the heck is leaning against the spare tire (besides another tire) and what are the lables or whatever? Quite a "mysterious" picture for sure,.......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 04:43 pm:

Dang! Did it again! Been doing better on my bad habit of "double-posting" Sorry.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By n maver on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 04:48 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By n maver on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 04:50 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By n maver on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 04:52 pm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX-EIAYe7E4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 05:03 pm:

Burger I thought you were joking about the steam donkey, I googled it and well, you learn something new every day. Never heard of one before

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 05:32 pm:

I think much of the picture depends on where it was taken?? Where fire wood is scarce the stumps might have some value? If people are just clearing ground why go to all the bother and just burn them in a pile on site? Someone/somehow went to a hell of a lot of work loading those stumps!!! The rack is slightly tilted so is that a wagon hoist or jack blocked up on the side?? How hard it was to pull or blast those stumps depends if they were dead and dry or was it sand? Dynamite was cheap but augering the hole was a lot of work!!!!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale L Myers on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 09:24 pm:

The thing leaning against the truck is just another stump with the root ball on top and the bifurcated trunk on the ground. It has been trimmed to look like a little man with a big head.
Or...mebby the photo was taken near Roswell NM in 1947.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 10:14 pm:

I wish there was a modern material made to roof buildings that had that super
neat and clean look like cedar shingles.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration