1925 coupe quarter window help needed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1925 coupe quarter window help needed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 05:35 pm:

My car was stripped and rewooded, I have all the right window parts but I can not figure out what the quarter window channel should be, I have the adjusters and all the trim but can not see what the glass rides in, I have some rubber "U" shape but can not see how that would allow the glass to slide up and down, Would the door glass felt channel be what I need or can use?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 05:53 pm:

OK, I my have found my own answer, But I can not believe that the glass simply runs between the trim and the body metal, shouldn't there be some cushion?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 07:37 pm:

I used door glass felt channel in my 24 Coupe. If I remember I bought some long strips of it and cut to size.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 10:31 pm:

John I think the same, I tried the same channel the doors use, (from Lang's) but it looks to be to wide so I hope to find something similar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 12:57 am:

Hi Tom,

I used the same felt channel in the doors and the quarter windows for my '24 coupe and it worked just fine. Sourced it from Langs. Good luck with your project. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 09:33 pm:

Bill I'm picking up the door window channel tomorrow morning, I can see there will be some extra to cut off and I will try that before I buy more at 18 bucks ea.! I finished the windshield today, now to find the seal that goes between the upper and lower glass, I have about an 1/8 in. gap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 11:55 pm:

Hi Tom,

This is the windshield seal:

https://www.modeltford.com/item/7840H.aspx

Conventional practice is to install the rubber with the one upper leg on the inside so that the glass can be pushed outwards. The savvy enclosed car owner will mount the rubber "backwards", that is with the upper leg on the outside of the glass. This allows you to pull the windshield inwards and all of that cool air is directed to your feel making the car ever so much more comfy.

Yes, the cowl vent does bring outside air into the car and often that is adequate. On those sweltering days, pulling the windshield open makes a Big difference.

Oh, a word or two about cutting the rubber seal to length: First, the Original seal was Not a simple extrusion; it was molded and the ends of it, beyond the glass, were flat on the top to clear the upper glass clamps and the bottom was molded,shaped to fit onto/over the top of the bottom glass clamps. Careful cutting (with an X-Acto knife or similar) will allow you to approximate the fit of the original seal with the modern extruded seal. It does not look the best, but if you do drive in the rain this will keep the rain from entering the car if the seal is cut to fit only on the glass itself.

I hope that this helps. Good luck with your project. Bill

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration